GTSteve054
GTSteve054, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford senior master technician, 19yrs experience

Ford F150 FX4: sounds like driver side front wheel bearing

sounds like driver side front wheel bearing on 2005 f150. replaced with new bearing assembly and still getting same noise but not as loud?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Describe the sound and what you must do to hear the longest and loudest?

Does swerving effect it?

Does turning and taking off from a stop make it occur the most?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
swerving doesn't affect it, mainly hear it at speeds between 65 and 70 mph stays constant when slowing down and when i come to a complete stop it feels like something goes back into place. it is a grinding sound
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
have not received an answer yet
Expert:  GTSteve054 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. Have you tried the 4x4 system? If noise goes away, thats it. Sounds like an IWE noise. Do alot of these.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what do you mean tried 4x4 system? and what is a IWE noise?
Sorry, thought it was a 4x4. It's an FX4. Ok. It'sXXXXX Right? Noise doesn't start till speed is built?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no it is a 4x4. but it made the noise while inXXXXXand the noise isn't constant like a wheel bearing would be. i am a millwright not an automotive mechanic and wasn't sure what you meant by tryingXXXXXor IWE

Alright. Think what you have is an Integrated Wheel End noise. It's more of a rattling type grind, right? The 4x4 system uses vacuum to disengage the front "hubs" from the axles. When there is not enough vacuum to pull the IWE off the axle, it drags, making a grinding type rattle noise. There is a IWE solenoid on the firewall behind the battery. These failed frequently due to water contamination. You will need to see if there is vacuum going to the hubs.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is a wheel speed sensor but no vacuum lines

Really? On the backside? There should be the brake hose, abs wires, and vacuum lines held together with clips on the brake hose. The vac line is one line made up of two lines, one with a larger diameter than the other. You compared to other side? Who did the wheel bearing?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
replaced wheel bearing myself. everything clean and seated good
Ok, so then on the back side of knuckle, there was a silver actuator. The teeth on the axle meshed with this actuator. There is 2 little stalks coming out of the top side of that actuator. There should be a vacuum line connected ti it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
found vacuum lines how do i check vacuum start truck and pull lines?
Yep. Pull the lines from the hub, one side at a time. Put finger over end while truck is running. Should feel vacuum. Check both sides. It should be strong enough to hold a piece of paper, like a post it note. If not, check the solenoid on the firewall. There is a 2 wire connector and 2 vacuum lines underneath that on this solenoid. 1 line is the feed from the intake. Should have lots of vacuum there with truck running. What you are interested in is seeing if there is vacuum going through this solenoid. If you can improvise a jumper, bypass the solenoid, and check for vacuum at the hubs. If still no vacuum to hubs, the line is leaking somewhere. Most likely under the pcm, there is a connection there that goes from the solenoid to the hub line. They like to crack there.
GTSteve054, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Ford senior master technician, 19yrs experience

If there is no vacuum through the solenoid, it will need to be replaced. The new one has a "hood" on it to prevent water intrusion. Once good vacuum is regained to the hubs, drive it to see if your noise is gone. If you have good vacuum to hubs and still have the noise, that hub is no longer sealing and will also require replacement. Good luck and you can reach me using this thread if required.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
heard noise for a second but it went away. i guess yhe jury is still out on this one. thanks again you saved me alot of aggravation