ASEMaster35yrs
ASEMaster35yrs, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck,worked on all makes and models

Replace 01 Taurus SE 3.0 Vulcan "U" engine

1)  Can I replace my 01 Taurus 3.0 Vulcan "U" engine with 02 Taurus Vulcan "U" engine?

2)  Can I replace my 01 Taurus AXOD transmission with 02 Taurus AX4N transmission without running into issues. Unsure if the computer is available.

3) How do I identify the type of engine I am looking to buy since the car has been junked and the vin is unavailable? Is there a vin on the engine somewhere?

Category: Ford
Expert:  ASEMaster35yrs replied 2 years ago.

Customer:

Glad to be of help. Swapping the engine is no problem. Swapping the trans is.

Customer:

AX4S TO AX4N CONVERSION

You'll need the computer out of the other car, as well. Programming for the 4n and 4s (axod) are different.

You will need more than the PCM to convert from the AX4S. You’ll need to swap the whole engine wiring harness. Exhaust y-pipe/downpipe, subframe, PCM, cv axles

Forum links

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/154254-1997-trans-swap-ax4s-ax4n.html

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/87-engine-drivetrain/124692-ax4n-axod-can-they-switched.html

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/122378-96-wagon-slipping-tranny-help.html

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/140792-ax4s-ax4n-swap-98-taurus.html

Customer:

Here are pictures for engine identification: http://www.ford-taurus.org/taurusinfo/Engine/index.php

Customer:

I'm switching to Q&A format to be notified of your response.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

Here is the list of 3.0 engines.

2001

Ford Taurus

3.0L

VIN "1 or 2" OHV Vulcan, Flex Fuel

2001

Ford Taurus

3.0L

VIN "U" OHV Vulcan

2001

Ford Taurus

3.0L

VIN "S" DOHC Duratec

2002

Ford Taurus

3.0L

VIN "2" OHV Vulcan, Flex Fuel

2002

Ford Taurus

3.0L

VIN "U" OHV Vulcan

2002

Ford Taurus

3.0L

VIN "S" DOHC Duratec

2003

Ford Taurus

3.0L

VIN "2" OHV Vulcan, Flex Fuel

2003

Ford Taurus

3.0L

VIN "U" OHV Vulcan

2003

Ford Taurus

3.0L

VIN "S" DOHC Duratec

If you only swap the U engine for another U engine, it will be a bolt on project. Swapping the trans changes eveything.

Let me know if you need more help.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1) I believe there are problems with your answers. I have been told the engine will not swap right in. There are components which need to be swapped.

3) Did not get the location of where the engine numbers are.

You will find the casting number high on the block just under the cylinder head deck or along the top of the trans mount flange on the right side.

In 2002, the new 2F1E block casting had "X" shaped reinforcements on both sides, one more bolt hole on the passenger side for a sensor. The 3F1E block that replaced it in 2003 appears to be the same. As long as you are swapping a vulcan to vulcan you should have no problem. If you intend to use the ax4n trans you will need to swap out everything rather than plug a hole for a sensor.

Here is some detailed information on the 3.0 engine

1996-'98 Taurus/Sable

F5DE is the casting number for the first generation of the 3.0L Duratec. There have been reports of an F7DE block, however I have never been able to locate one. In any case, it would be identical.

1999 Taurus/Sable

XW4E - AE, AG is the casting number for 1999 only because it's the only XW block with a 12mm det sensor boss. It has a provision for the oil feed to the right side cylinder head (Figure 4) to use with variable valve timing (VVT) although it's not being used. There are also coolant port changes that occurred on the right side that required a new design head gasket. A coolant port flange with two bolt holes can be found on the top of the block used in the Lincoln LS and Mazda MPV. This flange is plugged for all other applications. This block now has two bolt holes in the trans mount flange area on the right side above the dowel (Figure 2). Typically you will find the casting number for this block in the lower area just above the bedplate. 1996 through 2000 Taurus/Sables used the same camshaft throughout.

2000-'05 Taurus/Sable, Escape/Tribute, Lincoln LS, Jaguar S & X, Mazda MPV and 6.

XW4E- BA is the casting number for 2000-'02 and you will find the casting number high on the block just under the cylinder head deck or along the top of the trans mount flange on the right side. In 2003-'05 casting number 3W4E came on the scene. I have seen Broadcast Code engines that were 2003 and 2004 and had XW4E blocks. If you're a purist I leave it to your own heart; otherwise I consider the blocks to be fully interchangeable.

In fact, the blocks are identical to the 1999 block except the det sensor now has 8mm threads. Since this is nearly identical to the det sensor situation with the 4.6L Ford, I would assume that the same companies that provide those adaptors and tooling should be able to do the same for the 3.0L Duratec.

The crankshaft position exciter ring has two different index key slots. One is for 3.0L Taurus/Sable with the position sensor on the right side of the engine, and one is used for the Escape/Tribute, which has the crankshaft position sensor on the left side of the engine. The pistons with the four-valve reliefs may be used as the one piston for all remanufacturing applications from 1996 to 2005.

2001-'04 Taurus/Sable RFF Valvetrain

As with the 2000 models, the right head is c/n YF1E and left head is c/n YL8E. These heads still have 3 oval intake ports, but now have a rear water pump driven by the left intake cam. The right side cylinder head has a protruding ear to cover the oiling port for VVT, which is not being used.

See: http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/1142/rebuilding_the_ford_30l.aspx

Ford 3.0 engine

1999-2001

The block was changed again to a XF1E-DD casting that had one major difference: the threads in the deck were slightly recessed and the head bolts were an inch longer so they extended further down into the block. Using the longer bolts helped minimize bore distortion which improved ring sealing and reduced oil consumption. Less oil consumption meant less oil contamination, so the catalytic converter lasted longer, and that's what really mattered to Ford, because it helped them comply with the extended emissions warranty required by the EPA.

2002-2003

There was another new short block in 2002. The new 2F1E block casting had "X" shaped reinforcements on both sides, one more bolt hole on the passenger side for a sensor and a revised piston, too. The new pistons had a small dome on top for more compression, the oil grooves were only 3.0mm wide, and the pistons were a few grams lighter, too. The 3F1E block that replaced it in 2003 appears to be the same.

CRANKS

There have been only two crankshafts used in the 3.0L motor since 1986:

1986-1994

The original E6AE crank with four counterweights - two in the front and two in the back - was used up through '94.

1995-2003

A new casting that had an additional, narrow counterweight in the middle of the crank was introduced in '95 and has been used ever since. The original crank with the extra counterweight was a F58E-AA casting, but there have also been F5DE and XF1E-AA/DD castings with the fifth counterweight that are very similar and completely interchangeable. We expected that the XF1E-AA/DD would be slightly different because it came with the lighter pistons that were used in the 2002-'03 engines, but it checked out the same as the others on the balancer, so it can be used in any motor after '95, too.

RODS

There have been two different castings used in the 3.0L, but they're both the same so they can be interchanged without any problems. Look for a rod with either an E6AE or a F7DE casting number on it.

PISTONS

Ford has used four different pistons in these engines according to my parts book. The actual part number used varies by year and application, starting with the F5DZ-EA and going to the F5DZ-A and the Y2UZ-EA before ending with the 2F1Z-AA that came out in '02.

Our best take on it is that the F5DZ-EA and F5DZ-A are pretty much the same, the Y2UZ-EA that was used for some applications from 1999 to 2001 looked the same, but it had the 3.0mm oil ring groove, and the 2F1Z-AA that was introduced in '02 was an all new design. It had the 3.0mm oil grooves, but it was about 10 grams lighter and had a small dome on the top so it made a little more compression. In order to simplify life, most rebuilders we talked to are using the early piston with the 4.0mm oil rings up through '01, and the later, lighter piston with the 3.0mm oil groove for everything from '02 and up, but it's up to each shop to decide which combination to use year by year.

CAMS

The 3.0L engine came with a flat tappet cam from '86 through '91. Ford switched to a roller cam in '92 for all the cars and trucks except the Probe. Since then, there have been eight different roller cams used for these engines, but they're usually grouped into three different applications (see the application chart at the bottom of this page for more information).

The identification number is XXXXX stamped or etched on the back of the back journal.

Rumor has it that some rebuilders have consolidated most of the car and truck cams, and that might just work, because there's only a 2º difference in the lobe centerline between most of them. But, no matter what you decide to do otherwise, make sure that you never use the cam for the Tempo/Topaz with A/T for anything else because there's a 13-1/2º difference in the lobe centerline between the F23Z-A / F33Z-A cams that were used in the Tempo/Topaz and the F2DZ-A and F3DZ-C that were found in the cars and vans during the same years.

See: http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/2179/rebuilding_the_ford_30l_v6.aspx

Forum link

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/87-engine-drivetrain/150763-vulcan-engine-identification.html

Articles

http://rogueperformance.com/vulcanFAQ.html

http://www.articlesbase.com/automotive-articles/ford-taurus-engines-2000-2007-2846458.html

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have been told that I will need to swap the oil pan and oil pickup because the frame has changed from 01 to 02. Is that true?

Yes, the pan is different. 1995-2001 take the same pan. The gaskets are the same but the 2002 pan is different.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What other parts do I need to concern myself with for this swap? Can the engine be removed from the top or do I have to drop the subframe to get the engine out? How is the oil pan pickup replaced since that too has to be changed. Is it welded or bolted to the bottom of the engine or oil pan?

Drop the subframe. Before you go changing the pan, check to see if it will work as it is. No sense doing any more work than you have to. The pick up is bolted to the engine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK getting ready to pay you but have 1 last question. Is the injector setup the same between both years? The shop is telling me the injector setup may be different and he wants to charge me an extra $100. Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Forgot to ask two questions:

1) After I pay you how long do I have access to your answers?

2) Can the A/C compressor be moved to the side so I don't have to recharge the unit? The mechanic tells me that the motor and trans need to be removed completely therefore the A/C has to come out and get recharged.

Thanks again!

It sounds to me that this place is trying to nickle & dime you into paying more money. I would recomend taking your business elsewhere. They do not sound like an honest shop to me.Call around and get estimates from other repair shops. The injectors are the same. If you are swapping a U engine with a U engine there should be no difference. In answer to your A/C question, yes you can unbolt the unit from the engine, move it to the side and leave it connected so you don't have to recharge it. Don't let them take advantage of you. Are you getting the right engine? There are three types with different vins. Vulcan, duratech, vulcan flex fuel. You can continue even after you accept until the question is closed.
ASEMaster35yrs, Master Auto Tech
Experience: ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck,worked on all makes and models

Here is a Ford dealer parts listing for the injectors for 2001 & 2002.

2001

Fuel injection, Injector

Sable, Taurus, 3.0L, OHV, w/o Flex Fuel

FUEL SYSTEM »Fuel induction

Ford › Taurus › 2000-2007

List Price : $73.00
Your Price : $58.40

Fuel injection, Injector

Sable, Taurus, 3.0L, OHV, w/Flex fuel

FUEL SYSTEM »Fuel induction

Ford › Taurus › 2000-2005

List Price : $112.68
Your Price : $90.14

Fuel injection, Injector

Sable, Taurus, 3.0L, DOHC

FUEL SYSTEM »Fuel induction

Ford › Taurus › 2001-2005

List Price : $79.02
Your Price : $63.22

2002

Fuel injection, Injector

Sable, Taurus, 3.0L, OHV, w/o Flex Fuel

FUEL SYSTEM »Fuel induction

Ford › Taurus › 2000-2007

List Price : $73.00
Your Price : $58.40

Fuel injection, Injector

Sable, Taurus, 3.0L, OHV, w/Flex fuel

FUEL SYSTEM »Fuel induction

Ford › Taurus › 2000-2005

List Price : $112.68
Your Price : $90.14

Fuel injection, Injector

Sable, Taurus, 3.0L, DOHC

FUEL SYSTEM »Fuel induction

Ford › Taurus › 2002-2003

List Price : $86.78
Your Price : $69.42

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I have the engine and it looks correct (even though most look the same). I was told that this is not a flex fuel motor, how can I confirm that? It definitely does not look like the duratec.

As far as the injector, the mechanic said since the computer may be different between 01 and the 02 and the connectors may be different and than that's another $100 to connect the injectors. I think I am going to bring it somewhere else.

Another mechanic tells me that the subframe can be lowered and then the engine can be removed from the top. Can it be removed from the top? I have an engine hoist and am thinking about doing this myself but the wiring is why I am hesitating doing this myself.

I don't know who to believe now.

Thanks for all your Help!

He's giving you a line of bull. If it takes the same injector why would it have a different connector. Ask him that! The heads are different with flex fuel and they use a different injector but I believe the connectors are the same. The long blocks are interchangeable for any Vulcan 3.0. The differences between a 3.0L FFV and 3.0L regular gasoline engine lie in the fuel delivery system and PCM operating strategy. If you have a flex fuel engine for replacement, this may be what he's talking about.
Flex fuel heads were F6DE-EB castings. They look identical externally.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I noticed last night that the fuel rail is different between the two motors do I have to replace the intake/plenum to get this engine to work? Thanks,