Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair

1999 Mustang: obdii..Downstream heated 02 sensor fualt..exhaust pipes

My 1999 Mustang has an OBDII Error Code of P0136 - Downstream heated 02 sensor fualt (Bank 1). What is required to fix this? How do I know which is Bank 1 on the exhaust pipes?

Welcome! I'm DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions. For easy access back to this thread, bookmark it now!

The P0136 is a fairly straight forward code pointing to a fault in the Heated Oxygen Sensor for Bank1 Sensor2. Inspect the electrical connector and wire harness to the sensor for any loose, broken or melted wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, replcing the sensor should solve the problem. These ar fairly common wear and tear items. Bank1 is the passenger's side, and sensor2 means it's behind the converter. There is a special tool - Oxygen Sensor Socket - that will make the removal/install much easier. You can usually rent this tool at local "big chain" parts store.