John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience
7591113

1999 f 150: removing upper 2 bolts..automatic transmission..with v6

removing upper 2 bolts on automatic transmission housing to engine on 1999 f 150 with v6
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Mc replied 4 years ago.

John Mc :

Hi, I am John Mc, a Ford dealer tech. I hope I can help you quickly and accurately. One moment while I work on your problem.

John Mc :

If you are removing the transmission this is how to do it. First put the two side bolts back in the transmission. Now if you have the crossmember out lower the trans as far as it will go. Now find the longest 3/8 extension and use the extension and a universal joint and a 13mm short socket and it will get the bolt out no problem. Dropping the trans first gives you the room to get the socket on it. You have to feel for it as you probably won't be able to see it.

John Mc :

If this answer has been helpful to you please help me by accepting. This is how I receive credit for helping you
today!

Also if you need further assistance for this problem after accepting feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be glad
to help.

Thanks,
John Mc

If you need me and it says I am not in chat it is ok. I get a message as soon as you respond so I can come
right back.

Customer:

I've done this but the transmission does not drop low enough to get a universal on with out being almost at a 90 degree angle

John Mc :

Do you have any impact style universals. This is what I use but most diy people don't have them. These are a ball and socket style. If you can't get it this way then jack the trans up as high as possible and get the bolts from up top. A little harder but if you have a ratchet wrench you can do it this way also.

Customer:

no impact style tried from top to close quarters what is holding the engine from lowering down are the mounts holding it even with the tranny jack off it still doesn't move

John Mc :

Have you removed the exhaust?

Customer:

yes

John Mc :

Check and see if the cooling fan is hitting the shroud. You may need to take the shroud bolts loose so the engine can tilt a little more. Also check if the back of the intake is hitting the firewall. If so this would cause it to only go back so far. Sorry, but when I do these I use a snap-on 3/8 drive 13mm impact swivel socket with a 3 foot extension. You can get right to it with that.

Customer:

fan is still clear and its not hitting the firewall I'll see if I can get someone up top to try and force the socket up on the bolt . ive been trying 30" of extension I will go by a impact style socket and see if helps. Thank you for trying to Help. Removed many a tranny and never had this problem before.

John Mc :

Like I said, 13mm impact swivel and this will solve your problem. Use this and go directly over the top of the transmission and they will come right out.

John Mc :

today!

to help.

Thanks,
John Mc

right back.