Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master

2008 F350: 6.4L..parked..wont start/turn over...fuel pump runs

I started my 2008 F350 (6.4L) and parked it beside my house for a moment. It now won't start/turn over. The fuel pump runs, the dash goes thru the start sequence, etc. If I turn the lights on and try they do not dim (never less than 21.6v) I can here a relay by the pass. floor click. Ware is the main starter relay and what else could be keeping the starter from activating?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ironmike replied 4 years ago.

try starting in neutral(if auto). If still no start/cranking we need to check at the starter for power. It would be best to check with a multi meter so we can see how much available voltage is at the starter. we need to see 12 volts at the main terminal and 12 volts at the smaller terminal when the key is turn to start.

let me know if this is an early or late build and if this has an auto trans or manual

let me know what you find

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is an early build, automatic, verry basic version. there is no power to the small terminal. I am having difficulty locating the relay I here clicking. (behind fuse box?)

The the chip in the key is working because the light goes out properly.

Expert:  Ironmike replied 4 years ago.
ok, security light goes out and no power to the smaller terminal when key is in start position. we can start with checking the fuse f40 (30A) in the battery junction box. Next we can swap the starter relay in the BJB with another from the truck. next we can make sure the fuse f27 in the smart junction box is good, power on both sides. Last we can check at the ignition switch for power at the BU/WH wire(this circuit energizes the starter relay)