Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master

2001 Ford expedition: 5.4 V8 isnt getting fuel..it dies..fuel filter.

Customer Question

2001 Ford Expedition 5.4 V8 isn't getting fuel. Fuel pump kicks on, and will start when primed but as soon as the fuel burns off, it dies. It's not the fuel filter.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.

greetings,

let me know if you have a fuel pressure gauge. If you hear the fuel pump and the filter is good we should make sure there is enough pressure. we should have key on engine off 35-45 psi. We can also make sure the pump continues to get power as it cranks or runs(if even for a few seconds). We will need a multi meter for this.

let me know if you checked for trouble codes and if any warning lights are on

let me know what you find

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will have to check it in the morning; however, it won't run for long at all...maybe a few seconds or so. there is a fuel pressure regulator on this make and model. how do we check the pressure? what tools do we need to do this?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.

you would use an adapter to hook the gauge up to the test port on the fuel rail. If there were no test port it would have to hooked up at the coupling to the rail or at the filter. We should see key on engine off 35-45 and with key off bleed down should be slow. If there are no leaks and it bleeds down fast we could have a bad pump or a bad injector. Bad injector and you should smell fuel.

good luck

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pressure was fine; bleed down was slow. No fuel smell. Any other suggestions? However, now when he primes it, there is a loud rattling noise coming from under hood (maybe motor)? When in idol no noise, but with acceleration it gets faster and louder. Also no check engine lights so we can't even get a code. We are truly puzzled. When we parked it around beginning of December (couldn't afford the gas) everything was fine. When we try to sell it, we experience all these problems. Any suggestions would be great.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.
what was the fuel pressure? how about the catalytic converters, were they checked? exhaust restriction would feel like lack of fuel
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
30-40 psi was the pressure. as far as the catalytic converters, I am not sure how we would check these. The truck is rattling/pinging (I say it sounds like gravel in a tin can) it gets louder and faster when accelerating. I don't think it is a restriction of exhaust, in fact, we are thinking we may have a small exhaust leak because there is a smell coming from the driver side wheel well. Would any of these problems (especially the pinging/rattling noise) cause a service engine light to come on? Since there is not a light on, could it be something simple or maybe nothing to worry about? Is there anything else that would feel like fuel restriction?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.

You can check the catalytic converters with a back pressure gauge or pop out the 02 sensors and see if it has more power. If they get bad enough to lose that much power usually the element has broken and they will rattle, try rapping the outside of the cat with a hammer. I have seen a bad MAF sensor cause a vehicle to act like a lack of fuel.

I am surprised the check engine light is not on. Make sure it come on with the key on engine off. Let me know if this the 2 valve motor.

let me know if you can communicate with a scanner

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will have my husband try that when he gets home from work. He seems to think it is a knock sensor or maybe a rod making the noise; he said it sounds like coming from the block. There may be more than one issue here both are recent since neither was happening when we parked it about 3 months ago; I am sure it is possible for the truck to be knocking (I think it sounds like it is rattling) and have lack of fuel but the reasons are different and unrelated. There is about 144,000 miles on it. Are there any things that commonly go out around this time? Can we find something out with a scanner if there are no service engine lights on? The light does come on with key on motor off. Thanks
Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.

If it sounds like an engine knock I would make sure we have good oil pressure. Usually the engine develops a bearing knock from low oil pressure. The cats do come loose and cause a knock similar to an engine knock. If we are loosing timing advance and the knock sensor is picking up the noise we would need a scanner that can show live data.

good luck

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The oil pressure is fine; in fact, we just did an oil change in it. The oil is not low at all. Do we need to rent a scanner and hook it up to the truck? Will it show live data without a check engine light, and without being able to drive it, i.e. with it just sitting in idol?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.

I am not aware of anyone that will rent a scanner that will show live data. you can have trouble codes without the engine light on. lets get the vehicle scanned for codes, most parts places will scan for free. Lets also make sure we have no broken elements in the cat converters.

See if you can pin point the noise better, like if it sounds closer to the trans bell housing. there is a chance the trans torque converter could be failing. It can knock or rattle and cause the engine to stall.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Autozone will actually rent some tools like this. I believe I can rent a code reader for $150 deposit. Once we are finished, we can return it and get our money back. If I go and get this, we can hook it up while truck is running to get codes, even if we are not driving the truck, and even if the truck does not have a service engine soon light on? I will rent it and let you know what it says.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.

yes, you can check have codes in history and not have a check engine light on. I am not sure if the scanner you rent will show live data and what it will show. I would ask. I use a long screw driver or extension to pin point sounds. Hold it on a engine or trans part and then hold up to the out side of you ear. The sound will get louder as you get closer. just watch moving parts and hot parts that can burn.

good luck

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My husband did that with a broom handle last night and thats how he figured it was coming from the block, on the passenger side of the vehicle. I thought that was a weird way of doing things, that is why I didn't disclose that earlier. However, I guess it is a way of finding out, since you are recommending it as well. There isn't any knocking until acceleration. Then it gets louder and faster.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.

no noise at idle. let me know if there is a noise in park when you raise the engine RPM. Knocking is usually used to describe a low loud engine noise related to bearings.wrist pins or even piston slap. Pinging is more like a rattle, like shaking a tin car with a few bolts inside. Pinging is from ignition timing ,carbon build up on the pistons, low fuel pressure, exhaust restriction or low octane fuel.

let me know what the spark plugs look like

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Husband got home late tonight. Unable to work on truck. But when it's in park and I am not pushing on the gas, no noise. However, when I give it gas, it starts rattling/knocking. I have the noise recorded on my cellphone, wish there was a way I could get it to you so you could hear it for yourself. to me, it sounds like a rattling in a tin. like a pie tin full of small rocks when I rev it up, it pecks faster and louder. I don't really know how else to describe it. The other night, my husband crawled up under the passenger side and took the broomstick and listened. He said the noise is coming from the block. However, we do have an exhaust leak coming from the driver side front wheel well. Boy does it smell bad! I don't know if this would have something to do with the noise or not, to be honest. I just hope it is nothing expensive because we just want to sell without having to put a bunch of money into it. It's hard enough to sell a V8 with the gas prices as they are, let alone with problems. It's even harder to recoup when a bunch of money is spent out trying to fix the issue. Hope we can figure it out soon!
Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.
there is an icon on the tab to insert video from you tube. If you post it on there you can then down load to here. If in the engine we need to make sure lower or upper. I did see once an expedition that spun a bearing on the crank. I actually spit it out in the oil pan and still had oil pressure, just knocked. The customer had an extended service contract, we had to drop the pan and an Inspector can and verified it. We replaced the engine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We checked the truck out a little more this evening; it has a pecking/vibrating noise that comes from the passenger side when in idol. I couldn't hear it before because I was in the driver's seat. When accelerating it gets a bit louder. My ex husband seems to think it is a bent rod. Anyway to check this?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.
you could disable each cylinder on that bank one at a time to see if the noise stops. You could disconnect the injectors one at a time on the side with the noise. They can have valve lash adjusters that go bad, you would have to remove the valve cover to see if it is a valve lash adjuster or a bad cam lobe.