Daniel, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Technician
17254274

1996 Ford F250: 7.3 Diesel..truck will crank..fuel filter..cam sensor

I have a 1996 Ford F250 4x4 7.3 Diesel , I just picked up this truck a few days ago . The truck will crank over great and strong , but it won't fire up and start . I repaced the fuel filter , and also replaced the cam sensor . I even sprayed a shot of ether and noting , not even a cough . I am clueless to diesel's . I had a friend soak a rag with gas and hold it over the air breather and he said there was no suction as I was turning the key .
Category: Ford
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Daniel :

Welcome to Just Answer. We are working on a fast accurate answer Based on the info you have provided. Your time and my time are both Very important.

Daniel :

HI I am Daniel

Customer:

Hey Daniel , my name is Carlos

Daniel :

I dont give up on the 7.3 so easy

Customer:

im really clueless to these diesel's

Daniel :

Carlos I believe you may have a cam sensor issue. They are common issues on these.

Customer:

my first diesel

Daniel :

You have a great one.

Customer:

i changed my out today with a brand new one

Customer:

thanks

Daniel :

Lots of people want your 7.3

Daniel :

Ok so cam sensor is new.

Customer:

yeah , ive heard lots of good reviews thats why i wanted one

Customer:

yes, new cam sensor

Daniel :

do you have any smoke while cranking engine?

Daniel :

and how many miles is on it?

Customer:

i had smoke the first day i towed it home , but now no smoke

Customer:

267,000 miles

Daniel :

is it cold where you live

Customer:

no , its been upper 70's

Customer:

why is there no any suction , when i had my friend hold a rag to the air breather he said there was no suction

Daniel :

That would mean there was no compression.

Daniel :

But do you feel air out exhaust?

Customer:

dang, sounds like my motor may be bad

Customer:

im not sure , i havent tried feeling at the exhaust

Daniel :

dont worry about intake with a gas rag just your hand will feel the push of air from exhaust.

Daniel :

Hard to blame glow plugs when its that warm

Daniel :

how is th eoil level?

Daniel :

oil level. its injected with oil pressure

Customer:

oil level looks good , and it looks good , not milky

Daniel :

thats good also.

Customer:

so if the oil is low , it may not start ?

Daniel :

make sure the cat isnt clogged if it has one

Customer:

ok,

Customer:

i hadnt checked the cat

Daniel :

it has to breath in and out so you may have a issue there.

Customer:

hum, makes sense

Customer:

but should it at least make an attempt to fire up , even if the cat is clogged ?

Daniel :

I may have already But not with you. after a while there is not enough for eventhat.

Customer:

what ?

Daniel :

after a while it wont

Daniel :

lol

Daniel :

if it has been tried alot.

Customer:

oh ok , lol

Customer:

how about a ignition coil ? could that be a problem ?

Daniel :

click here for all your checks for no start. I may do a compression test if you dont feel much out exhaust and the exhaust way is opened up

Daniel :

click here

Customer:

i just checked the oil level , and it shows it is low , its on the add part of the dip stick

Daniel :

I am hoping for the best case scenario for you. I have faith in your 7.3 click here for the high pressure oil pump resevior the arrow is almost pointing to plug you take off to inspect level it should be up at top. just got reply That will do it. wow that would be a great piece of news wouldnt it.

Customer:

ok , i will check for that in the morning .

Customer:

if the oil level is low , is that a safety deal so it will prevent damage , so the motor will never turn on ?

Daniel :

Clicking on accepot helps me as I have helped you with my time expertise and resources. Feel free to follow up after accept. I do it for all my customers.

Daniel, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Technician
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Yes you did.