sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Certified Ford master technician since 2001
31670004

Ford Focus SE: I have a Ford Focus 2010 TDCI 1.6. When driving

I have a Ford Focus 2010 TDCI 1.6. When driving the engine stops without warning signs and "engine malfunction" is displayed. After wating a while the engine malfunction message is gone and the car can be started again and runs fine.

Happens after ~15 minutes driving and can be during idling or driving at constant speed. Otherwise the car runs fine.

Hooked up a OBDII scanner but no errors are recorded.

Can this be a bad camshaft sensor? If so where is it located on a 2010 model tdci engine? Had a look and could not find it.

The 2 year warranty just went out :-(

/Willy
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 5 years ago.

Hello I hope I can offer you some assistance.

Have you the chassis number of the car? So I can obtain the correct details.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi

The chassi number of my car is WF0SXXGCDS9C82508
Expert:  sean replied 5 years ago.

Hello again.

Sorry for the delay I've been trying to find out about the camshaft sensor operation on this engine. I can't find it in any documentation but I seem to remember from Ford that the camshaft sensor on this engine can be disconnected while the engine is running and the engine will continue to run, it's only when you turn the engine off and try to restart that the sensor is used for synchronizing the injectors, once running again the engine management uses the crank sensor. You can confirm this by disconnecting the sensor while the engine is running and see if it cuts out. The position of the sensor is just below the Exhaust Gas Recirculation pipe as shown below, the sensor is number 3.

graphic

It is tucked underneath the pipe so is quite difficult to see. Normally if this sensor fails you would get a fault code of P0340 or P0341.

If there are no fault codes then you need to be able to diagnose the concern when it actualy happens. When the fault occurs check the relays in the fuse box under the bonnet, try tapping them to see if this makes a difference, I've seen quite a few faulty relays causing this concern. Also check the main connectors in the front foot wells of the car, make sure they are fully engaged.

As the EOBD reader you used wasn't Ford IDS I would suggest having the engine management checked for fault codes by IDS as I'm aware of some generic code readers not picking up all codes on these stageV emission vehicles.

Let me know if I can assist further and I'll reply as soon as I can.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
After reading you explanation it sounds like it is more likely that the engine stalls because of a faulty crank sensor.

Tried to start the car today but the battery was low and I have put it on charge.... Could the car stall if the battery is weak? The battery is 2.5 years old.

Willy

Expert:  sean replied 5 years ago.

Hello again, a faulty crank sensor would certainly cause the engine to cut out. I have replaced a few but normally this fault leaves a fault code of P0335 or similar, having said this I have replaced a couple that left no codes at all even when using Ford IDS.

A low battery shouldn't make the engine cut out unless there is a fault with the charging system, if this was the case then the engine wouldn't restart without a jump start.

Let me know if I can assist any further.

Best regards,

Sean.