Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic

My car started making a growling noise only when i accelerate.

My car started making a growling noise only when i accelerate. It is a ford focus. It is really loud at low speeds and comes and goes at high speeds.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
Would you say the noise is more speed related rather than how much you accelerate?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am not sure. It quits completely when I take my foot off the gas even if I am going 55 but it is louder and lasts longer at slower rates of speed. My husband replaced the tension something or other on the altenator yesterday and it has been making this noise since. He thinks it might be some kind of bering on (forgot what part he said) the transmission. He hasn't had time to look real close and is out of town.
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
If it does make the noise when not moving but when accelerating then I would say the noise must be one of the accessories on the front of the engine and possibly even the part that was replaced may be bad, but if it only happens when moving then i would be suspecting a wheel bearing or a transmission issue, it would be very hard to say for sure without being able to hear the problem but wheel bearings are very common on this vehicle with the same symptoms.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
husband is a ford mechanic and has been for 30 years and this has him baffled, says not a wheel bering, said he had car one time he worked on that is was what I said above with the part on the transmission, he says it is not in transmission.
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
Is this a auto or manual trans?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
Ok more than likely the noise is in the cv shaft which goes into the trans they can make the noise you are describing but its not real common.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will tell my husband. Thank you.
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.

Ok sounds good, good luck with the repair