Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

Ive been told a clicking noise I hear is the catalytic converter.

I've been told a clicking noise I hear is the catalytic converter. Can that be? I thought there were no moving pasrts inside a catalytic converter. Is it a fatal (for the converter or the engine) defect?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

you are correct that there are no moving parts in the converter, but the inside honeycomb of the converter can come apart and make noise, usually a rattling noise. If this happens, if not replaced, it can either clog the exhaust and the backpressure can damage the engine, or pieces can be sucked back thru the exhaust manifold and damage the pistons and valves in the engine.

A clicking noise is not from the converter. the only other noise from the converter is a ticking noise from either raw fuel, coolant or oil being burned in it. But this is not a clicking noise.

You need another shop to inspect it. clicking noise is usually electrical such as a fuel injector or a solenoid.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What's the difference between a "ticking" noise and a "clicking" noise?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

in this case, a ticking noise would be the sound a liquid dripping onto a hot exhaust. you can compare the sound by idling the engine for about 10 minutes and drip some water onto the hot engine exhaust manifold and see if sound is similiar.

clicking would the sound of an electrical component going on and off constantly
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm estimating that my "clicks" occur at a rate of about 150-200 per minute. Is that compatible with your electrical component "ticks"?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

yes. that sounds like a possible fuel injector issue as they tend to click extraordinarily fast. the other possiblity would be the Idle Air Control valve.

These need to be checked, as this is not a converter noise.