6Bucs
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  Ford senior master tech, 18 years experience.
63005990

2002 Ford focus: speed manual..misfire on cylinder #2 at idle..Swapped

Customer Question

2002 Ford Foces 5 speed manual. I have a misfire on cylinder #2 at idle. Swapped wires and plugs - no difference. I did a compression test and cyl 2 is about 15 pounds lower than the others (160 psi), but that shouldn't cause a misfire.

Is there a way to check the coil pack? Or?

Thank you
Tom
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The other Experts and I are working on your answer.

By the way, it would help us to know:

-What codes were retrieved?

-What else have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Only code is P0302 - misfire cylinder 2. As mentioned, I have swapped spark plugs and plug wires and no change. That is why I was wondering about the coil pack???
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The most common cause of the problem you are having is a defective Ignition coil. However, before replacing any parts, I always recommend proper testing first. If you need I can send the test procedures directly from Ford, in order to determine the exact cause.

Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, Please send me the test procedures. Thank you.
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The test procedures are below in pdf format, (just click on the links below).

Misfire Detection Tests Click Here

Integrated Ignition Coil Pack A, B or C Failure Tests Click Here

Secondary Ignition Tests Click Here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Shawn,

I did as many of the tests as my tools allowed. I get good spark on the air gap tool. I swapped spark plugs, then I swapped plug wires. I then swapped injectors and checked for pulse at the harness. I also checked and found no vacuum leaks and the vacuum gauge shows a steady 19 inches of vacuum.

After all the above, I still have no fire on cylinder #2 I can remove the plug wire on #2 at idle or any other RPM and it makes no difference. I can clear the DTC and the P0302 comes back every time.

I am totally baffled. The only thing I know for sure is that the compression on Cylinder #2 is about 155 and the other 3 cylinders are at 175, but even at 155 it should still fire.

Any other thoughts?

Tom

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
No Response
Expert:  POWERSTROKE replied 2 years ago.
Hello Just Answer customer-
I am a Ford Diesel Master Certified Technician. I am here to help you repair your vehicle.

Is this a 2.0 split port engine or a duratec dohc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the reply. It is a 2.0 Split Port.

Tom
ok. With the lack of compression you may have a valve seat about to drop. This has been a problem in the escort and the focus. You can check for the percentage of lost compression by doing a cylinder leakage test. This will measure the percentage of lost compression. This will also let you know if you have a sticking valve because the leaking air will either be heard in the intake air box or the exhaust. If this is a valve issue you will need to replace the head with a quality re manufactured head, do not use a junk yard head as they will have the same problem. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here is what I have found. In doing a compression test, all the other cylinders are at around 175 psi. The misfiring cylinder is at 155. When I squirt a bit of oil into the cylinder, the compression comes right up, so I am assuming that it is the rings.

Here is where I get a bit confused though. Whne I remove the plug wire while the engine is running, it makes absolutely no RPM difference, whether at idle or higher RPM. Should I not get some kind of firing with 155 PSI?

Thank you
Tom
the compression rising is a sign of possible rings. 15psi is enough to cause a no fire condition. I would still do the cylinder leakage test. You will need a specific tester to do this. It has two gauges, one to dial up the input psi and the other shows the percent of leakage. It will need to be on tdc to do this and you will be able to hear if the valves are the fault by air in the air box or exhaust. You may have already had part of the valve seat that broke off and damaged the cylinder wall or rings. This is the next best step to take and you should be able to get the tester at advanced auto, auto zone or napa they all rent tools.
POWERSTROKE, Ford Mechanic
Experience: FORD DIESEL MASTER CERTIFIED, GAS ENGINE MASTER
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will do a leak down test as you suggest. Are you saying that at 155 PSI, it is possible it will not fire - at any rpm?

Thanks
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well.I did a leakdown test and it seems that the number 2 exhaust valve is either burnt or leaking. Would you have any detailed procedures for removing and re-installing the head on this engine? It is the Split Port version.

Thank you
Tom

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Expert not currently available
Expert:  6Bucs replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I have the procedure here for you. The exhaust valve seat issue is quite common and it's a great idea to address it now before catastrophic engine damage. Please do not hesitate to ask if I can assist you furthur.
James.

graphic
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Experience: Ford senior master tech, 18 years experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.

Tom
Expert:  6Bucs replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome. Thanks for using Just Answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is a great write up. Would you happen to have the section referred to as removing and installing the timing belt?

Thank you
Tom
Expert:  6Bucs replied 2 years ago.
Sure. Let me get that for you as well.

graphic
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master