Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.

2003 f350 diesel , no crank, computer not giving ground to

2003 f350 diesel , no crank, computer not giving ground to starter relay
Hello my name isXXXXX check the trans range sensor pid in the computer and see if it reads park, also check the cooling fan wiring under the hood by radiator, sometimes this wiring gets torn up and will cause a no crank, just disconnect the connector and see if it will crank. Let me know what you find or if you have any more questions , thanks Steve W
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
truck computer is not communicating with my snap on modis scanner, no communication with engine or transmission

Ok, here is a no communication pinpoint test, it could be a open power circuit, ground problem, or sensor shorted out, did you disconnect the cooling fan first? Then recheck?

No communication click here

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, cooling fan was disconnected, but made no difference. the truck came in for repair on exhaust y- pipe. it was starting up fine before.
Are all the fuses ok? Any wiring disconnected?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
all fuses were tested with powerprope test light, I also have a 2008 ford f250 with same exact problem Everything is connected
Was some wiring disconnected then the key turned on, on the 2008? Is the check engine light on when the key is turned on in the 2003?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
2008 f 250 came into shop with no crank, Customer said message on dash said shut down engine now. The regen converter has o hole brown out to the rear, ther is diesel oil coming out of the exhaust in front of converter. It is a pretty good flow as if turbo seal are blown. 2003 f350 the engine light is on when ignition is on.
The 2008 probably locked the starter by sensing too high exhaust temp, some of the 2008's pcm's would lock out the starter , but are supposed to reset after 45 minutes, the timers in some of the PCM's don't work, as long as there are no exhaust temp codes, try this, on the passenger side back probe the starter trigger wire, momentarily apply power to engage starter with key on briefly, then remove wire, turn key off then back on and see if it will crank over. The 2003, I would run the pinpoint test I gave and see where it leads.