Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master
11302663

2005 Ford Explorer: shakes a bit..van..new battery and terminals.

When I start up my 2005 Ford Explorer it revs up, then revs back downm shakes a bit then shuts off. I hit the gas a little and that's the only way I van keep it from cutting off. I just got a new battery and terminals. Could it be a fuel pump issue? I also replaced the fuel filter and got the injector cleaned as well.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ironmike replied 5 years ago.

greetings,

did the low idle, stalling start after the battery replacement? is the check engine light on? did you get the vehicle scanned for trouble codes?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It started after the battery was replaced. I did not get it checked for diagnostics and the check engine light is not on
Expert:  Ironmike replied 5 years ago.

It is common for carbon build up in the throttle body to cause this. When the PCM loses power and has to relearn idle this can happen. These vehicle has electronic throttle control, no cable. The PCM uses 2 sensors in the throttle body and 2 in the accelerator pedal to control engine RPM. When the base throttle position is off or sticks at base setting the relearn cannot be done. Most of the time If you clean the throttle body with a soft pipe brush and use a spray cleaner it corrects itself. Remove the inlet hose to the throttle body and hold the throttle plate open with you fingers, spray the throttle cleaner and then clean with the soft pipe brush. You can get the spray cleaner from most parts places and the soft pipe brush from walmart or a dollor store type. It may smoke and be hard to startup from the cleaner, it will clear up.

let me know what you find

good luck