John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience
7591113

2001 ford f150: extended cab..rear doors wont open

I have a 2001 ford f150 (extended cab) & both rear doors won't open (so something is broken in the latches) but I need to know how to open those doors so I can work on them. The bottom lock latches work but the top ones don't. Appreciate your help.
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Mc replied 4 years ago.

John Mc :

Hi, I am John Mc, a Ford dealer tech. I hope I can help you quickly and accurately. One moment while I work on your problem.

Customer:

ok

John Mc :

This is actually pretty common and easy to do. Look on the latch and find the cable that should go to the back side of the latch. Use a pair of needle nose pliers and get it to release from the latch. This can be a pain. Once loose pull on the cable and the top latch will come loose. Now you will need to replace the upper latch and cable assembly. Repeat for the other side!

John Mc :

Sorry, not the latch but the control.

John Mc :

Wrong with the words and my typing gets ahead of me sometimes.

Customer:

so i have to remove the bottom trim to get tp the door handle? Is there any way I can stick a screwdriver of something into the top latch to release it? The bottom latch releases so if I could get the top one to release I could open the door & work on it a lot better than having to crawl inside & try to get the bottom trim off!

John Mc :

Nope, you have to get the door trim off. Pretty easy to get this trim off on this model other then getting in the back seat :)

John Mc :

Any further questions? If not and if I have been helpful please help me by accepting. This is how I receive credit for helping you today.

Thanks,
John Mc

Customer:

So ....you think the problem is the cable is loose at the door handle thats in the middle of the door & not at the top latch?

John Mc :

Yes, the cable end breaks right at the control. Replace many of these over the years.

John Mc :

The cable and the latch come as one piece from a dealer, very easy to install once the door is open.

Customer:

I'll try to get to it.....but one more question.........how do I connect the cable from the new latch that runs up to the top lock?

John Mc :

It goes right through the door. Once the door is open there are two or three screws holding it in. Then you just pull the latch and cable out. It goes right back in.

Customer:

I don't quite understand how the latch & cable could pull out together-----unless theres another cable running to the top lock?

John Mc :

Yes, there is a seperate cable just for the top latch. It goes from the control to the top.

John Mc :

There is a second cable and latch for the bottom.

Customer:

Ok..........last question.......can i disable the top lock completely once I get the door open so i don't have to worry with it any more?

John Mc :

Never done that. It will still latch on the bottom so I guess but you may have some wind noise because the top won't shut tight.

Customer:

OK......I gues all i need to do now is click accept?

John Mc :

Ok, if you need more help just come back after the accept and I'll be glad to assist.

Customer:

Thank you Sir......................John

John Mc :

You're welcome