john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field
6149662

2003 Ford Explorer: whining noise..about 120,000 miles on it

My 2003 Ford Explorer has started to make a whining noise when I drive it. It doesn't seem to be coming from the engine. _the vehicle has about 120,000 miles on it. Any ideas as to what it might be
Hi I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.
john aka eauto
is it like a howling hum?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Kind of. It only happens when the vehicle is moving and it seems to be only in the front end. You could call it a howling hum or a whining sound.
that sounds like wheel bearing failure...they are common to fail and cause all the symptoms you describe..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I believe we already had one fail. How far can the vehicle be driven before repair? My daughter needs to drive about 175 miles to school tomorrow and can then have it repaired.
it should be fine...They usually can be noisey for sometime before they completely fail..She should be ok