Steve S
Steve S, Ford Technician
Experience:  10 years in Ford Dealership, Certified in: Auto Trans, Diesel Engines, Climate Control, Electrical D
9447945

2005 Ford Taurus: intermittent problem starting up..charging system

I have a 2005 Ford Taurus that has an intermittent problem starting up. I took it into a Ford shop 4 days ago and they ran several test on the starter, the charging system, and battery. These tests did not indicate any problems, and they trouble recreating the problem in the shop. At my insistence, they replaced the battery since it was easy to do and given that the battery was nearing the end of its life. After replacing the battery, the car was fine for about 4 days. The temperature dropped to the 30 degree range, and then it snowed. Then the original problem wrt starting up started to happen again. Should I just go ahead and have the starter replaced, or should I let the Ford mechanics go through their testing/analysis process again ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve S replied 2 years ago.
Hi there one question first.....does the car crank over and not start or does the car not even crank when this happens.....how do you get the car started when this happens?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There have been times when it would not crank (and thus not start), and there have been times when it would crank, but crank with difficulty. It sounded "sick" or "ill" even though it would try to crank, which is what it did this morning. The way I got it started was with a jump box, but even then it took a few times and some "ill-sounding" cranking before it started. Yesterday, it would not even crank. By the time I came back with a charged jump box (about 3 hours later), it started without any help.
Expert:  Steve S replied 2 years ago.
There is a bulletin from Ford for your exact concern.....if this is a 4 valve engine then you have to get the Powertrain control module reprogrammed. This is a common concern and Ford has came out with a reprogrammed to resolve it. Thank you steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I know if I have a 4 valve engine ?
Expert:  Steve S replied 2 years ago.
If you send me your vin number I can tell you. Thanks Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My VIN is 1FAFP53285A187298

Are you referring to Service Bulletin ID: 10022203 from Wednesday 12/6/2006 ?

http://www.fordforumsonline.com/bulletins/2005/taurus/10022203/
Expert:  Steve S replied 2 years ago.
Yes your vehicle is affected by this recalibration. I think I would start there before replacing the starter. Thanks Steve
Steve S, Ford Technician
Experience: 10 years in Ford Dealership, Certified in: Auto Trans, Diesel Engines, Climate Control, Electrical D
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks you. Should not the dealership I took it to known about this bulletin ? Is it the customer's responsibility to be aware of all service bulletins for his model ? If so, what is the official channel Ford uses to make this info available to customers ?
Expert:  Steve S replied 2 years ago.
The dealership should always run all bulletins on a model when dealing with a concern like yours if they are doing their job properly. It is not the customers responsibility at all but I would bring the bulletin to their attention. Thank you and good luck. Please if you need anything more please ask before accepting. Thank you again Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Clearly they did NOT "run all bulletins" on my model, and yet charged for looking at the car. According to what you say just above, they therefore did NOT do their jobs properly. I am less concerned with getting my money back, and far more concerned that I need to be pro-active about staying on top of whatever bulletins pertain to my vehicle. If Ford does not have an official channel for customers to receive this kind of information, then they need one, and perhaps need to be made aware that they need one. To whom can I address these concerns ? At this point I am firmly convinced that I cannot rely on the dealership to keep abreast of this kind of information, even if Ford thinks it is part of their job. You just saved me about $500, and I am very pleased with your help. I just wish you work in my region of the US ! Caveat emptor.