George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

POWER STEERING PUMP FILTER ON 2003 FORD TAURUS. WERE IS IT

Customer Question

POWER STEERING PUMP FILTER ON 2003 FORD TAURUS. WERE IS IT LOCATED?
Category: Ford
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

There is no filter in the steering system what part number and brand did you purchase?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
DYNAPACK # XXXXX THE HAYNES MANUAL STATES IT GOES ON THE RETURN LINE.
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Not on this vehicle. Haynes is a general information that covers several years and models so they may have found it in other applications but you don't need to install it.

Are you rebuilding the pump or just replacing it?

I don't get any return for Dynapack 2210, is this part of a kit?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. The pum was contaminted and fluid will be pushed out from the cap when you turn the vehicle off. The manuel stated that the power steering filter be changed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

It sounds like you need to replace the pump and flush the system to allow the pump to move the fluid out of the reservoir.

Do you have the pump replacement procedure?

As you found there is a screen at the pressure valve but no filter in the system.

Is this an aftermarket add on filter?

If so it would go in the line from the reservoir to the pump but if it clogged you would have the same issue.

A properly working pump and the system filled to the correct level will contain the fluid to the system. If someone has installed a filter that may be the problem but you have looked and don't see one so I doubt that has been done.

As far as the fluid being pushed out the cap, if the wheels are turned with the engine off or the pump not turning this will happen.

Let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It feels as if there is a clog in the line but, when the unit is running the fluid in the resivior is circulating. when the car is turned off the fluid shoots out of the cap and the fluid is foamed. you then have to put more fluid in so you can have the power steering.

Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

It does sound like you may have a restriction in the pressure line, if you look at the diagram below you see the pressure line at #2 and a flushing will show if this is what is happening. I would have a shop do a power steering flush with the lines disconnected and see if they can find a restriction, if the line need to be replaced it is about $280.

Click here for diagram

let me know how I can help you

Thank you