SuperBob
SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical

2005 taurus . battery drain from fuse 33. where do i go from there

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.

The next step in your diagnosis of where the draw is coming from is to disconnect each of the components that draw power from this fuse one at a time while monitoring the draw! This fuse supplies power to four modules on the vehicles, the remote climate control module, the instrument cluster, the multifunction (turn signal) switch, and the integrated (climate control) module! Below, I have attached illustrations of the locations of each of these connectors and the main wire diagram for power flow from the fuse! If you need assistance or instruction on how to access any of these connectors, let me know and I will attach the workshop manual instructions for removal of that component

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

When you unplug one of these components, you will know that that is the component causing the draw, and if you replace that component, the draw will most likely be corrected!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my owners manuel says that circuit controls hazard flasher, cluster power , ICP power, and EATC. is that the same as you are looking at.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
looking at your diagrams, it appears thats what you determined also. so if you can give me the info on finding and disconnecting these connectors from easiest to hardest, that would be helpful... c228, c220, c202a, and c2009. I will give in a try tomorrow.
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.

OK, this will take some time so have some patience for me to collect this data for you

Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.

C228 (remote climate control module), C220 to follow!

Click on blue hyper link above

Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.

C220 (instrument cluster, which includes the finish panel and headlamp switch)

DOWNLOAD TRIM INSTRUCTIONS HERE

DOWNLOAD FINISH PANEL INSTRUCTIONS HERE

DOWNLOAD HEADLAMP SWITCH INSTRUCTIONS HERE

Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.
Did they all come through and download ok?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes they did. most say to remove battery ground but I suppose i'll have to leave it connected so I can moniter the ampmeter. right. I'll start on that tomorrow. any guesses on what the problem might be...
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.

The reason they say to disconnect the battery ground is due to a safety issue for potential airbag deployment if you were to accidentally tamper with any air bag harnesses! Disregard that portion of the instructions if you feel comfortable, I have never seen an airbag deploy by not following these instructions!!!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I haven't checked this out yet, but I also have another problem on this car and wonder is they could be related. the check engine is on with codes p0463, p0461, and p0462. I understand this may be the fuel sending unit. the gas gauge is stuck on empty. any ideas on this. I read that high sulpher gas may be at fault and to put some techron cleaner throu the tank. what do you think
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.

I have attached the description for these codes below, it is possible that the level sensor is contaminated with sulfur, the only true fix for this would be to replace the sensor! This would be the cause of the fuel indicator not working however it is very unlikely that a stuck sender would cause the battery to drain down!

P0460 - Fuel Level Sensor A Circuit

Description:The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the fuel level input (FLI) circuit or communications network message for a concern. The test fails when the PCM determines that the value of the FLI signal is stuck. The PCM calculates the amount of fuel used during operation. If the FLI signal does not change or does not correspond with the calculated fuel usage, the DTC is set.
Possible Causes:
  • Stuck float arm
  • Fuel level is always greater than 95% due to refueling patterns
  • Fuel level is always less than 5% due to refueling patterns
  • Fuel level is always at the same level between 3% and 97% full due to refueling patterns
  • Fuel pump (FP) module concern
  • Damaged instrument cluster
Diagnostic Aids:Check with the customer for driving and fueling habits that would keep the fuel level at approximately the same value. Monitor the FLI and FLI V PIDs while attempting to move the fuel level float by adding or removing fuel as necessary.
ApplicationKey On Engine OffKey On Engine RunningContinuous Memory
AllGO to HX40 .

P0461 - Fuel Level Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

Description:Excessive electrical noise.
Possible Causes:
  • Fuel level sensor circuit intermittent
  • FLI signal line open circuit
Diagnostic Aids:Verify after market equipment does not generate the radio frequency interference / electromagnetic interference (RFI/EMI) which may cause noisy FLI input signal.
AllGO to HX37 .

P0462 - Fuel Level Sensor Circuit Low Input

Description:The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the fuel level input (FLI) circuit for electrical failure. The test fails when the signal moves below the minimum allowable calibrated parameter for a specified fuel fill percentage in the fuel tank.
Possible Causes:
  • Empty fuel tank
  • Fuel pump (FP) module concern
  • Incorrectly installed fuel gage
  • Damaged instrument cluster
  • Damaged fuel gage
  • FLI circuit shorted to CASE GND or PWR GND
Diagnostic Aids:Monitor the FLI and FLI V PIDs in key on, engine running (KOER). A concern is present if the FLI PID is at 25% fill and the FLI V PID is less than 0.90 volt with a non-matching fuel gage or the FLI PID is at 75% fill and the FLI V PID is greater than 2.45 volts with a non-matching fuel gage.
AllGO to HX37 .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks I did not see the info for code P0463. am i supposed to be able to access Hx40 and HX37??? I cannot at this time. maybe it doesn't concern me???
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.

No, that was just copied and pasted from the workshop manual and the hyper link will not work, it would just take you to the diagnostic tests that would be performed at the dealer, P0463 is relating to the same sender issue

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do all taurus's have the remote climate control module. I can't seem to find it. Is it only on the models that have auto temp. controls. what is the acceptable amp draw for this car when in sleep mode....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I forgot to ask you if the fuel sending codes could be because of a bad flex fuel module.
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.
Not according to the possible causes listed under the diagnostic trouble code description and operation section! The flex fuel module should set it's own set of codes if the module is faulty!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
did you overlook the question I asked right before this last one.... thanks...
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.
Give me a few minutes to research your question on weather all taurus's have a remote climate control module, as I am not sure! An acceptable draw is anything under 50 milliamps, .050 amp!
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.
Ok, the remote climate control module is only available on taurus's that have electronic automatic temperature control! If your vehicle has manual A/C (knobs that turn) then it will not have a remote climate control module!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did some other research and decided to replace the flex fuel module, to take care of all the check engine code and get the gas gauge to work again. I know you said that it did not seem likely that would help, but suprise, suprise that was what the problem was. There were other experts on this site that suggested this on some old posts. You may have to put this in your play book.... The battery drain I determined was in the instrument cluster. but I don't know how to go much farther without replacing the whole cluster.... ideas????? For now I wired a switch into fuse 33 so I can shut that circuit off when the car is parked. Any potential problems with that???????? that you can see. I also found that the parking brake light stays on. I checked the switch and brake fluid level switch and both seem to be okay... What other problems would do this.????
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.

Power is supplied to the cluster circuit for the park brake lamp at all times when the key is on, if the light is staying on, then it sounds like there is a short to ground on the switch side of the circuit! If I had this car in the shop, the first thing I would do is to unplug the park brake switch to see if the light goes out, if it doesn't then the next step would be to remove the cluster and unplug the electrical connector to see if the battery draw goes away! If it does, you will know that the problem is in the cluster!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
maybe I was not clear enough .. the parking light stays lit with the key in the on position . it is off when key is off. It does not help to unplug the switch on pedal or fluid level switch. I was thinking maybe abs or another brake problem....
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.
The parking brake light is activated when the ground circuit is completed by the contact of the park brake pedal being applied, the light will also come on if the brake fluid level sensor in the bottom of the master cylinder senses that the fluid is too low, it will close the contact and complete the ground circuit! If the park brake switch is unplugged and the electrical connector at the bottom of the brake master cylinder is unplugged and the light is still on, then the circuit between one of these two components is shorted to ground or there is an internal fault in the cluster to cause the park brake lamp to come on!