normanahoyt
normanahoyt, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I am an ASE Master Technician and have worked on Fords daily for the last 16 years
22294968

Ford Aerostar: 93 Ford Areostar 3.0 liter Rough idle when

93 Ford Areostar 3.0 liter Rough idle when cold engine surges up and down over and over until you put it in drive then it is fine. When vehicle reaches normal operating temp idle is fine. Only codes that show are tps. Checked the TSP it is fine please help!! Thanks

normanahoyt :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you.

normanahoyt :

I think you are dealing with a lean condition. I would start by looking at the MAF sensor. Sometimes it simply requires cleaning the hot wires in the MAF sensor to get these to come back to life again.

normanahoyt :

The wires will haze over with either black or gray soot and then they read lower airflow than actual and therefore underfuel the engine.

normanahoyt :

The other thing to look at is for carbon in the throttle body, clean that out as well to ensure proper airflow at idle.

normanahoyt :

The idle air control valve is the next thing to check and cleaning it may also be an option. Once you have gotten all three of these areas cleaned up with carb. cleaner if you still have symptoms it will require proving the MAF sensor is functioning correctly and if that is good it will need a new IAC valve.

normanahoyt :

Let me know if cleaning the MAF sensor hot wire, cleaning the throttle body, and cleaning the Idle air control motor get your idle back to smooth or not so we can look deeper if needed.

Customer:

ok I will check those things and get back with u

normanahoyt :

Excellent. I will check back

Customer:

Ok I finally got a chance to clean everything. Things were dirty runs alittle better but still surging on cold idle to the point were it will die if its real cold. The warming it is the better it is

Customer:

warmer not warming

normanahoyt :

Ok, if you are consistently getting a TPS code you really need to replace this sensor. It is very difficult to test them and find the glitches in them. These rely heavily on the tps so I suspect that it is indeed bad. Once you have replaced the TPS if you still have issues unplug the MAF sensor and see if it clears up, if it does replace that as well. I don't forsee any further causes for your idle concern.

normanahoyt :

Thanks for the question and please use the accept feature to complete the process and then feel free to come back to this thread to post your results or further questions on the same concern.

Customer:

Ok I decided to replace the idle air control after looking at it as you stated in your first response. It started up so good and is running awesome! Thanks a bunch Todd