Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

Ford Ranger: my o/d off light is flashing and my 1995 ranger

Customer Question

my o/d off light is flashing and my 1995 ranger wont go into reverse
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question.

Does the vehicle have engine braking inn the Manual 1 position? That is to say if you put the shifter in Manual 1 position and drive up to 25 mph then let off the gas you should feel the engine slow the vehicle. See if this is the case or if the vehicle just coasts as if in neutral. Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ya it does i tried a manual shift
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 4 years ago.
Ok if it has engine braking then the low reverse band and servo are ok as well as the low one way clutch. That pretty much just leaves the direct clutch. Does the transmission have all forward gears proper? Any missing or slipping shifts? When it won't reverse does the engine freewheel like its in neutral or does it load as if in 2 gears at once?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
foward is not proper wont go past 2nd and in reverse its like neutral then kicks in hard
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 4 years ago.
Ok thanks. From your description there is a pressure loss to the direct clutch which is applied in third and reverse. I have seen a few reasons for this. The most common is a blown valve body separator plate gasket. This can usually be confirmed by removing the pan and inspecting the area where the valve body mates to the transmission case on the drivers side front just above the solenoids. If blown the gasket will be hanging out above the solenoids. I have also seen the center support sealing/bearing support crack and allow pressure bleed at the direct clutch. This is an internal repair and the trans needs to be disassembled to access the center support for inspection. I have also seen the direct clutch outer lip seal fail which is the least common.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 4 years ago.