SuperBob
SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical

2007 Ford Escape OD off blinking and shifting at high rpms

My 2007 Ford Escape XLT 4WD, automatic, revs to 3500-4000 rpms before shifting between gears and the "O/D Off" light starts blinking on the control panel. It always eventually shifts, whether I keep accelerating, or if I take my foot off the pedal for a second, but it just seems to rev higher than it should. My manual says that if the OD off light is blinking I should get it checked out before it causes serious damage. I want to take care of it quickly but am afraid to take it to a transmission shop, because I think they will just recommend replacing the whole transmission. I have a feeling it is more of an electrical or computer problem that needs to be adjusted to help the transmission shift at the appropriate time (speed sensor, torque converter, solenoid?) .  I have heard of people replacing the transmission, only to find out that the problem persists with the new tranny. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
VIN 1FMYU93157KA96458
Category: Ford
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.
although a failed externally mounted sensor could cause the transmission o/d light to come on, it is highly unlikely that an external sensor can cause the engine rpm to raise in such a way between shifts as you have described! Whenever the o/d light is on or flashing, it is telling the driver that there is a fault in the transmission that has set a diagnostic trouble code in the (PCM) powertrain control module! This diagnostic trouble code will lead a technician to a particular pinpoint test in the workshop manual and will allow them to isolate the cause of the symptom and the code! Without knowing what the code is will be next to impossible to speculate on what the cause is because there are literally hundreds of codes that can be set! I would advise that you take your car to your local auto parts store and ask them to perform a free code scan, and once you have the code(s) that are stored in the computer, we might have a better idea on what is causing the problem!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks SuperBob and sorry for the delay. I am going to get the obd code read tomorrow and I will let you know what I find out.
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.
Ok, sounds good, see you then
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am told there is a "Gear ratio error" code for 2nd and 4th gears, and that I am currently only running in 1st and 3rd gears. Have you heard of this type of thing before, and do you know what might be causing it? Could it possibly be an electrical error or do you think this is mechanical and will require a transmission overhaul.

If required, what are the benefits/drawbacks of a transmission overhaul versus transmission replacement .
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.

Do you have the exact code that was retrieved from the pcm? also, a replacement from ford would have a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty versus a 12 month 12 thousand mile warranty on an overhaul! and the cost would be relatively the same for both!

Experience: 18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical