CTFordTech
CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified
9926638

Ford Focus SE: Getting B2290 and B2292 SRS codes, replaced

Getting B2290 and B2292 SRS codes, replaced both seat belts and both seat as well as the air bag control module which has been programmed to the car. Didn't clear the codes. What should I check next.
Category: Ford
Expert:  CTFordTech replied 2 years ago.

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your question today.

The two codes you have are for:

B2290- Occupant Classification System Fault which is the weight sensor in the passenger front seat. The weight sensor may need to be reset with a Ford diagnostic computer if the seat was repalced.

B2292- Prentensioner fault which is one of the front seat belt buckles. If the vehicle was in an accident. 1 or both may need to be repalced.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As I mentioned I replaced both seats, seat belts and control module that has been programmed for the car, any additional information would be appriciated!

There is a difference though. I just want to be sure. There is a special procedure to calibrate the weight sensors and not just the program of the new module. There is another way in which the seat weight sensors need to be calibrated. Also you said you replaced the seat belts, the code is for the buckle. I do not know which buckle because more information is needed from a scan tool. There could be a bad wire in the buckle or going to the buckle from the module.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The buckle codes are different, they are 2434, 5, 8 & 9 are the buckle codes. Should I be asking someone else this question?
The 2434 code is for the "Buckle switch" which tells you if the buckle is plugged in or not. The 2292 code is for the "pretensioner" which is part of the seat belt buckle. The pretensioner is a small explosive charge that goes off when the vehicle is in an accident and pulls the belt tight. The pretensioner is the round cylinder that is part of the buckle.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If the drivers seat buckle is shorter than the passenger seat buckle does that mean the drivers seat buckle has fired making it shorter?

Yes that is usually a good indication of which one fired. There is also a steel cable that may be able to be seen coming out of the end of the cylinder at the bottom of the buckle.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is it possible that replacing the drivers seat (again) with a good buckle could that possibly clear both codes?

No it will not clear both codes. The other code is for the occupant classification system which is the weight sensor in the passenger seat.
CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified