Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2006 Taurus: Check Charging system light coming..alternator..autozone

Customer Question

Back in October I decided to replace the battery in my 2006 Taurus. Approximately 2 weeks later I started getting the Check Charging system light coming on. I removed the alternator and had it tested at autozone on their in-store machine. It checks out fine as well as the battery.

The light seems to come on when I am driving slow, a lot when I am in neighborhoods going 25mph. A fwe weeks ago not only was the Check charging system light coming on the Instrument panel gauges occassionally cut off for a little while then come back up.

Again it tends to happen in slow driving or even if parked.

Here is the video I shot of the Instrument Panel on 2 seperate days.

Car operates fine even when the gauges and panel cut off.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.

My name is AMEDEE and I can assist you with your question.

I watched the video and saw that the battery light and gauges stop working? Did I see that correctly?

Have you checked for codes the computer? What about the rest of the modules?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The Check Charging system warning and battery light keep cominng on. Mostly when I am driving slow 20 -30 mph. Then occassionally the gauges stop working.

Was not able to get any codes and I am not sure what you are asking about modules ?

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay!

I will be completely honest with you. 9 times out of 10 when the battery or charge light comes on because of a bad alternator. The tricky part is that it will continue to charge when this happens so everyone always thinks that the alternator is not bad. However, this is not the case.

The only other thing would be a bad connection, wiring problem, bad ground or maybe even a bad instrument cluster causing all of these problems at once.