john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field
6149662

1989 LTD: Engine Warning light coming on..engine runs..overheat

I have a 1989 LTD Crown Vic. What is the most likely cause of an Engine Warning light coming on? The engine runs smoothly, sounds fine, does not overheat and has plenty of oil.
Category: Ford
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 2 years ago.
Hi I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.
john aka eautO
Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.When the Service Engine Soon light comes on, this is the on-board computer's way of telling you it sees a problem in one of the monitored systems. Unfortunately, there are litterally 100's of parts and sensors monitored in various systems, and to take a "guess" as to which part/sensor in which system is faulty, is virtually impossible. However, if you are not experiencing any drivability issues such as skipping, stalling, shifting problems, etc, then more than likely, the problem is going to lie in the EVAP (emissions) system. Very commonly, this could be a faulty, loose or missing fuel cap or even putting fuel in while the vehicle is running. Check the cap for any cracks in the rubber o-ring on the underside. Check the fuel filler neck for any signs of chips or debris. Check under the vehicle, around the area of the fuel tank and the EVAP canister looking for any vacuum lines that have dry-rot cracks, holes or loose/missing connections. If these all check out, then the best thing to do at this point is to have the "p-codes" read from the on-board computer. These p-codes are what is used as a "starting point" for the diagnosis and will tell which part/sensor in which system has the fault. There isn't a Mechanic on the planet that can tell you what is wrong with the vehicle just by "looking" at the Engine Light. Every single Mechanic's first course of action WILL be to obtain the p-codes. Once you get these p-codes you can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem and then make the repair. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc). If you still need help after retrieving the codes, you can bring them here, and any of our Techs can walk you through the diagnostic procedure, and then even help you make the repair if you feel confident enough to try
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience: ase tech over 15 years in the field
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
John, Your answer helps me a lot... It confirms my plans. I'm a first time user of Just Answer; and I was annoyed when I pressed Accept Answer, the site immediately took me away from the answer before I could copy and print it. Had to work my way through a maze of sales crap to get here again.

But Thanx again for the answer.