Steve
Steve, Ford Technician
Experience:  25 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.
43460220

1987 MUSTANG GT: FUEL PUMP, CHANGED FUEL PUMP, NEW RELAYS COULD IT

I CAN'T GET POWER TO FUEL PUMP, CHANGED FUEL PUMP, NEW RELAYS COULD IT MY COMPUTER,ITS AN 1987 MUSTANG GT
Submitted: 2 years ago via Advance Auto Parts.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

Have you checked the inertia switch and reset the inertia switch yet? This provides power to the fuel pump.

Steve :

Have you checked the fuel pump fuse?

Customer:

replaced ineria switch also

Steve :

Have you checked the fuel pump fuse?

Customer:

its good

Steve :

do you have a voltmeter or a test light?

Steve :

check for power on the inertia switch when cranking the engine is there battery voltage when cranking the engine?

Customer:

test light

Steve :

check for power at the inertia switch when cranking is there power?

Customer:

ihave to check

Steve :

What is the test results?

Customer:

yes

Steve :

You have power to both wires?

Customer:

yes

Steve :

Do you know whisch wire is power and ground at the fuel pump connector ?

Customer:

yes

Steve :

use your test light and do the same thing. Crank the engine do you have power and ground at the fuel pump connector?

Customer:

let me check

Steve :

k

Customer:

no power

Steve :

You have a break in the wiring between the inertia switch and the fuel pump connector

Customer:

i jumpered the fuel pump from the battery to the test module and the pump came on

Steve :

If you have power at the inertia switch but not the pump connector it is a broken wire

Steve :

You could put a wire inbetwwen the inertia switch and the fuel pum connector to solve this concern

Customer:

i'll try it but i don't think thats it

Steve :

What do you think it is?

Steve :

can you read a wiring diagram so I can show you how this system works

Steve :

hi are you still there?

Customer:

yes

Steve :

the computer activates the relay. the relay energizes with power coming through a fuse. The power goes through the inertia switch and to the fuel pump.

Steve :

You have power up to the inertia switch. This indicates the computer, the relay, and the fuse, and the inertia switch, is working.

Customer:

i checked the relay under the driver seat i got power to all but the pink and black

Steve :

You have no power to the fuel pump indicating the wire from the inertia switch and the fuel pump is open. There is nothing in between the inertia switch or the fuel pump but wires.

Steve :

what? You said you had power to the inertia switch?

Steve :

this comes after the relay?

Steve :

You are confusing me

Customer:

the pink and black wire runs all the way to the relay

Steve :

but it goes from the relay to the inertia switch

Steve :

What do you think the inertia switch is? and its location?

Steve :

did you check for power at the inertia switch

Customer:

its located in the hatch and is used if you are in an accident

Steve :

that is correct is there power there?

Steve :

if there is the relay is working

Customer:

I'm looking at a wire diagram and it shows the pink and black wire runs from the fuel pump to the relay

Steve :

were is the inertia switch in this diagram?

Steve :

the wire goes from the relay to the inertia switch

Customer:

as well as the inertia switch wire which is red and black

Steve :

which direction does it flow/ It should go from the relay to the inertia switch to the fuel pump. If you have no power coming out of the relay then there is no power to the inertia switch

Steve :

hi are you still there?

Customer:

yes I was trying to send the diagram

Steve :

ok just click on the paper clip and send it from the hard drive

Steve :

is it a pics format or a pdf format

Customer:

pdf

Steve :

then writ click here hilight the words and click on the icon look like a chain

Steve :

type click here hilight the words click here. use the icon looks like a chain. a box will pop up. click the insert on the box. another box will pop up get it from the hard drive then click at the end of the url box

Steve :

of the first box that opened up

Customer:

Scan0001

Steve :

need to higlight the word right click and click on the chain a box should pop up

Steve :

Customer:

Scan0001

Full Size Image

Steve :

did not go through try again thanks

Steve :

You are on the right track

Steve :

sometimes it takes a second try

Customer:

Scan0001

Steve :

did not work. You will see it go blue if it works

Steve :

Customer:

Scan0001

Steve :

sorry still does not work try again thanks

Customer:

can I just email it

Steve :

no cannot e-mal against the rules

Customer:

Full Size Image

Steve :

sorry still does not work

Steve :

Let look at the relay

Steve :

should have power on the red wire battery voltage with the ley on

Customer:

Scan0001

Steve :

Does the check engine light come on when the key is on? this indicates power to the computer?

Steve :

still does not work

Steve :

at the relay s hould have power on the red wire battery voltage with the key on

Steve :

should have ground at the black wire

Steve :

when cranking

Customer:

yes everything else seems to work ok

Steve :

ok Just do as I say run a wire from the inertia switch to the fuel pum and it will work and run ok

Customer:

ok

Steve :

please hit or press the green accept button so I can get credit. Thanks.

Customer:

I think it worked

Steve, Ford Technician
Experience: 25 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Great I am glad it worked, and have a great evening. Thanks for using just answer.