AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a Ford Escape the wrench light comes on,looses power the car putters and wont take

I have a Ford Escape the wrench light comes on,looses power the car putters and wont take gas,pull off road sit couple minutes then restart engine and runs fine for several days,
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Hello!

The computer turns this light on when there is a powertrain malfunction/electronic throttle body system malfunction. It could be the throttle body, computer, wiring or a sensor into the computer used for the throttle body. You will need to scan your computer again when the code is illuminated on the dash. Chances are you will pick up a code when this is done in the computer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the car wont move cant take enough fuel to run engine and when the engine is turned off the wrench light goes off and the car runs fine until it happens again,the computer didnt store any malfunctions

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Can I have your VIN?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the VIN # 1FMCU0DG5AKA47177
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Excellent!

There should be codes stored in the computer. Hands down. IF not, you may want to check all of the modules for codes with a factory scanner or equivalent. A simple code reader is not going to cut it here. We need to check ALL modules for codes.. hands down.

If there are no codes at all, then this would be a bad computer, bad cluster or just a bad throttle body.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the dealership service dept. checked the computer and all wiring and connectors,nothing showed any malfunctions,,until this happens which is at least once weekly,,the car runs great
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
I thought you said that the vehicle "looses power the car putters and wont take gas,"??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes that is correct,,but when the engine is restarted the wrench light goes off and the car runs great ,,usually for few days until all this happens again
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Right.. I am saying that you need to get your on board computer scanned WHEN THIS LIGHT IS ON.

If there are still no codes in the computer, you might just have a bad instrument cluster, bad PCM or just a bad throttle body.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there is no way of getting it checked when this light is on,,,it will not pull at all as tho there is no transmission,,when restarted it's as tho nothing is wrong
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Sure there is...

Get yourself a scanner and scan it when the problem happens.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

really,,where can I purchase a scanner and can just anyone read it,,

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
You can get one at any local auto parts store or even on ebay or amazon.com

I hope this helps! Please don't forget hit the green accept button so that I may get credit for the time that I have spent with you. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

I do hope you are as honest with me about your vehicle as I have been with you. If you have any further questions or if you need more assistance, just hit the reply button and we can continue our conversation. Please remember, even if you accept my answer now, you can still repost or respond back to this thread at any time you wish at no further cost and I will be more than happy to continue to work with you until you are happy.

In addition, please allow time between answers as I may be off line spending time with my family or assisting other customers. You can always request me by using the link through my profile page. Just Click on "AMEDEE" next to my picture and I will be sure to respond back in a timely manner.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

AMEDEE
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well since I am a woman and dont know anything about cars and never know when and where all this is going to happen I am at my wits end ,,,can there be numerous things or only a few that would make this happen?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Honestly, there could be dozens upon dozens of things.

I am being completely honest with you and would not point you in the wrong direction.

You can purchase a code reader for about 20 to 40 bucks that will read the codes in the computer. IT is very important that this is done WHEN this problem is happening.

After you have the code number, you can come back to this site either me or another tech will help you or bring it to the dealership where they will help you by getting to the bottom of your problem with the code number you have provided to them using the scanner that you purchase.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

AMEDEE