Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.
2499435

My truck has whining noise coming from the transmission

My truck has a loud whining noise coming from the transmission when it is in gear. Any ideas why this is happening and how can make it stop. It drives and shifts fine, no delay in shifting. Noise does subside when in overdrive.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 years ago.

The noise is coming from a faulty fluid pump on the transmission. The pump gear is damaged and rubbing the case of the pump housing and causing this noise. You will need to remove the trans and replace the pump and replace all the seals in the transmission.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is not a rubbing noise, it dosent make any noise when in neutral or park, just in gear.
When in gear thats the only time the pressure is high enough to put a load on the pump gear to make it press up against the pump housing and create a whine noise.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

And why does it go away when it goes into overdrive?

When in overdrive the converter clutch locks in and the input shaft is then turned by the converter clutch and no by fluid power within the torque converter which requires pressure from the pump to sustain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It sounds like I need a whole new trans, is it easier to replace whole unit rather than pump? What happens if I keep driving as is?

In the door jam give me the code letter or number under TR in the bottom right of the VCIS label and I will tell you the cost and the cheaper route.

If you keep driving you will fill the transmission with pieces of metal and soon fragments and the transmission will at that time be ruined.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The code letter is E.

If you decide to purchase a Ford remanufactured transmission thats going to run 2.514$

Remove and replace/install a transmission is 8.5 hours ( my shop rate is 88$ an hour)

If you overhaul the removed trans its 8.2 hours

If you replace the pump and seals and fluid then you will spend 841$

This will help you decide what is the best choice.

Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Ford.