Anthony
Anthony, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp.
15218643

2002 Ford Ranger: crank..the anti-theft chip..electronic..relays

Iam the owner of a 2002 Ford Ranger P/U.
With no warning it will not crank or even
energise the solenoid.It has the anti-theft
chip in key,which i suspect has failed.
No back-up key.Iam an electronic technician
and do not like being locked into this system.
I know the chip sends a code to the computer
which decodes it and allows relays to
perform the start up.I would like to bypass the computer
at least to get home in an emergency situation.please
only respond if you know how to do this.I have the title on hand and
will provide proof of ownership. Ron
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dieseljunky2 replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this security system is part of the programming in the system operating software. Even here at the dealership, we have no way of disabling the pats key anti-theft operation. If it is a pats key issue, then the computer should store a code when the problem happens. Due to this being a security code, usually o.ly the dealers computer scanner will detect the code. An ordinary scan tool will not read.these codes. The other thing would be to get a second key made and use the replacement key to see if the issue continues.to occur. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Link for me to give
Ford mech.(dieseljunky2) reason answer was not accepted not working.I asked for specific infor.
and only a general answer was given.
What is it that you want to know? The pats key system is part of the factory programming and there is not a way to bypass it. Even with the factory equipment at the dealer, we cannot disable the system. To see if there are any codes for the security system, it takes a dealer level scan tool. If you feel the key is the issue, have a second key made by a locksmith. Also, if your battery is getting weak it can cause issues with the security system.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

you wrote,. Even with the factory equipment at the dealer, we cannot disable the system. that may be true,but I can bypass the system,it's just a

matter of identifying the relays that control the starter solenoid.As i said

Iam an electrician.Iam simply trying to save time by contacting

someone who has access to component location.I totally

understand if you are strickly in the mechanical side.Ford must have

people that can diagnose electrical problems.They would know

exactly what Iam talking about.I have a simlified diagram

of the anti-theft system in my Haynes book,showing the relay,but

I'm assuming you have more detailed infor. thanks,anyway

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Please, only Ford experts with
electrical experience.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Hi new expert here. I think the situation is you fail to understand how the system works. The key has a chip as you know, that transfers through a transceiver as you know, to the computer and instrument cluster as you know. When it sees a proper signal from the key through the transceiver to the pcm to the instrument cluster it will crank the truck and allow the injectors to pulse and have fuel to the engine.

I have no problems showing you how to bypass the crank portion of the system. But the kicker is the computer will not ground the injectors to get fuel to the engine without a proper signal. There is no way to bypass the computer to inject the injectors. Unless you know how to program the computer to ignore the key and inject the injectors or provide ground to the injectors.

Yes you can get it to crank but it will not start until the computer grounds the injectors which provides fuel to the engine at a proper fire sequence.

I understand the pain in the ass this system is when it is not working properly. But if it was not impossible to bypass then the system would be worthless, and every dick and harry would know how to bypass the system.

Sorry for the bad news. I get this same question everyday from multiple customers.

Most experts will not answer because most customers want to bypass instead of fixing.

Just a side note have you tried a different programmed key yet?

Another side note that is very important. A lot of the times the computer relay will go bad and not provide power to the computer. This has the same affect as the theft is being activated because the theft system goes through the computer. If the computer is bad or and has no power to it. It will activate the theft system.

A simple diag is to see if the check engine light comes on with the key on. If the light does not come on replace the computer relay and problem solved. If the check engine light does come on with the key on, Then it is a pats concern.

The most common problems are

bad key chip, Transciever is bad. The computer lost the program.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

The most common problems are

bad key chip, Transceiver is bad. The computer lost the program.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for responding,I did take my key to a local

key shop, that when he put my key into his programmer,

it did show a code.I don't know if that is proof or not my key is good?

Yes I understand that the computer controls injection,timing and

a lot more.So are you saying that the computer receives a coded

signal from the Key decoder chip or would it just need a ground to

the correct input?On my simplified diagram it does not show a connection

to the computer from that module.Why would they bother to show how the

starter relay is activated by the decoder and not the computer?I can show you the diagram if necessary.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The check engine light and all instrument lights come on,

as well as the alarm light blinking rapidly,which means a anti- theft

problem.

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
I am plenty good on diagrams. The diagram you have fails to show the fuel injector part. The theft system is two part. It disables the starter and disables the fuel injectors. There is no bypass around the injectors. The injectors are controlled by the computer. If the key is ok and the computer has not lost the program to the key. The computer has power and ground to it. Check the check engine light.
the light should come on with the key on. Then the transceiver is bad. This is the antenna to the computer form the key to the computer. and is installed around the ign tumbler.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This dia.,at the top shows Alarm/fuel system connection

going to fuel pump relay.No fuel is the same as no injectors.

If you have a more detailed diagram that shows an input

from that transceiver to the computer.I would like to see it.

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS)—Principles of Operation

The PATS uses a specially encoded ignition key. Each encoded ignition key contains a permanently installed electronic device called a transponder. Each transponder contains a unique electronic identification code out of over 18 billion, billion combinations.

The passive anti-theft system (PATS), also known as SecuriLock ®, uses radio frequency identification technology to deter a driveaway theft. This system is known as Securilock® in North America, Safeguard® in the U.K., and PATS in Continental Europe. Passive means that it does not require any activity from the user.

The SecuriLock® System (PATS) is not compatible with aftermarket remote start systems, which allow the vehicle to be started from outside the vehicle. These systems may reduce the vehicle security level, and also may cause no-start issues. If equipped the remote start system must be removed before investigation of PATS-related, no-start issues.

Each encoded ignition key must be programmed into the vehicle's powertrain electronic control (PCM) before it can be used to start the engine. There are special diagnostic repair procedures described in this section that must be carried out if a new encoded ignition key is necessary.

This system contains a new feature named Unlimited Key Mode. This feature allows a customer to program more than eight keys to the vehicle if they request it. Each vehicle in Unlimited Key Mode is set up with a special Unlimited Transponder Security Key. This allows all the customer vehicles to share the same keys, but no other keys from outside can be used to operate the vehicles. For an individual customer, any randomly selected Security Key is acceptable. Refer to Unlimited Key Mode Programming in Key Programming Switch State Control in this section.

The PATS transceiver module communicates with the encoded ignition key. The module is located behind the steering column shroud and contains an antenna connected to a small electronics module. During each vehicle start sequence, the transceiver module reads the encoded ignition key identification code and sends data to the PCM.

The control functions are contained in the PCM. This module carries out all of the PATS functions, such as receiving the identification code from the encoded ignition key and controlling the engine enable. The PCM initiates the key interrogation sequence when the vehicle ignition switch is turned to RUN or START.

All elements of the PATS must be functional before the engine is allowed to start. If any of the components are not working correctly, the vehicle will not start.

The PATS uses a visual theft indicator. The indicator will prove out for three seconds when the ignition switch is turned to RUN or START under normal operation. If there is a PATS concern, this indicator will either flash rapidly or glow steadily when the ignition switch is turned to RUN or START. The PATS system also flashes the theft indicator every two seconds at ignition OFF to act as a visual deterrent.

The following will activate the PATS and will disable the vehicle from starting:

• incorrectly encoded ignition key
  • damaged encoded ignition key
  • unprogrammed key
  • non-encoded key (key has no electronics)
  • damaged wiring
  • damaged transceiver
  • damaged PCM

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
in the pics below numbers on it is bad and needs to be replaced called a transceiver. #1 and # XXXXX are pointing at it.

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I completely understand how the system works,the only

thing I need is the schematic or at the least,a wiring diagram.

It doesn't have to show everything,just the wires going from

the tx/rx module to the PCM.It's pretty easy to hook up a scope

to the T/R output and look for a pulse train.In both directions for that matter.

I really don't need theory of operation.I need simple,practical,

wiring,preferably with color coded wiring.

T/R to PCM maybe 2-3 wires.I can't be more specific than that.

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
You want a wiring diagram of the injectors?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
??? where do I mention injectors?
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
You need to explain to me in plain english what you want thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1. wires.. possibly 2

2. diagram showing transceiver (tx./rx or just t/r)

3. diagram showing PCM

4. diagram showing both

5. diagram showing both connected by 2 wires

see attached drawing

If you don't understand anything,refer to the number in your reply

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
drawing second attempt
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Need specific diagram for components
in question
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

Different expert here. The only answer to your problem is to have a performance shop delete the PATS lockout form the computer. Many race shops only do Fords so this service wont be hard to find. You cant just install a switch. It has to be deprogrammed from the computer. My race Ford which has the same computer as yours has the PATS deleted so I have no aggravation from it. This is the only way other than paying a ton of money to Ford to fix it right. You have two choices, PATS (security system) or no chip in key. Being a 10 year old truck, the added security system is not really worth it. Also a flash or chip to get rid of the PATS cost less than $200 and will work.
Anthony, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for responding,the problem is,that seems like a partial solution.

If the diagram in my Haynes manual is correct,the start relay and the fuel pump

relay need to be bypassed,or are you saying that flashing the computer will

also solve that problem?

Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Dont bother bypassing anything. The computer is whats shutting everything down including what you want to bypass. Its not a partial solution at all. Your other option is to fix the PATS which you could never do on your own. You can bypass what you want but if the security light is on, it will never run because the computer will not let the engine run no matter what you do. So your choice is to shut down PATS or fix it right. I race late model Ford vehicles and when I tune them, I always shut down the PATS to avoid one of my cars not being able to race over a silly security system thats looking for a chip in a key.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

O.K. if I contact a race shop here in miami,(any suggestions)and ask them to

shut down the PATS system they will know what to do?

Also you mentioned a chip to do that for $200. In case a shop won't do it

where can I find it? thanks,Ron

Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
IT has to be done at a race shop. They will either use a chip or just re flash the computer. It all depends on the catch code on your computer. Any shop that does tuning for Fords can do this very easily. I do it everyday. If they use Sniper Tuning Software, that will be the cheapest route, like $200. If they use SCT software, it will be more like $400. But either way the PATS will be gone and the truck will start with any key that turns the ignition.... Also yes they will know what you mean because this gets done often on race cars. No security needed to not enter a race or ruin a season of racing....