Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

Ford: this Electronic Throttle Body..malfunctioning..periodically

Customer Question

Tell me about this Electronic Throttle Body on my Ford Freestyle that is malfunctioning periodically, at least that is what I've gathered from a service manager, and a lot of internet input on the sorry state of affairs for the above. I just bought this vehicle and now am told it cost $500 minimum to replace this electronic throttle body. one internet contributor had said, "my husband isn't a mechanic, but he cleaned the etb and now, no problem." After research and finding that it is a device to control the amount of air put into the ignition (or somewhere) that controls the power, or whatever. I do feel a small amount of surging and the car will act like the transmission has disengaged even though the rpm's will still be up. If I shut the car off and wait a few minutes and restart it is fine (for awhile) the "check transmission" warning comes on and the little wrench to the side comes on. apparently hundreds of people have had this problem on the Freestyle, and they stopped making it so what does that tell you. Wish I had done this research before I bought the thing! I'm not a mechanic either. I am 68-yr. single woman who doesn't have the loose change to throw around for this defective vehicle. I think this should have been a manufacturing recall that the company pays for. So how long can I go without replacing or cleaning this dude? And can I get a local shop to clean it? Is there anything magic about that?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Ok, any repair shop can clean the throttle body. It is located atop the engine on the intake manifold:

graphic

graphic

It is easy to clean. The air intake tube is removed to access the throttle body. Then electronic throttle body cleaner is sprayed into throttle body opening and a rag and toothbrush is used to clean out the carbon deposits.

Labor time to do this is 1 hour, and then the can of cleaner. Total should be about $80
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

graphic
View Full Image

graphic
View Full Image

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The continuing saga of the Ford Freestyle: Now after taking the Ford to the local Ford dealer for a diagnostic check and an oil change, I was told that there must be something wrong inside the transmission and that will cost $2500 to repair. I declined that as the transmission has not stopped working.
I also had them do an oil change and in the lower left corner of the check off sheet was a note that the center engine mount was broken. They never mentioned that to me or offered a repair. I took the Ford to my local mechanic and he finally found the correct part to the tune of $235.00. I was appalled. So I said, lelt's wait a few days because I bought an extended warranty service contract and it is effective very soon. I have looked on the internet to find that part and it sells through Rock Auto for $45 to $55. But they don't list a center mount, only a left and right. what is going on here? Should I blow up the Freestyle now or later?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You replied

Friday, May 18, 2012 11:04 PM EST

Edit
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

some engine mounts are available aftermarket, but not all the time. Let me see if I can locate one for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In addition to the engine mount, this Ford is now showing "Check Engine" and the engine light stays on. Most of the time now when I start the engine "Failsafe Engine Mode" comes on in the information readout window. Almost every time I go somewhere an episode happens when it seems the transmission doesn't want to change out of 2nd gear and the engine revs up (because I am depressing the accelerator) but I'm not going more than 25 to 30 mph or less. I usually have to pull off the road, stop the engine and restart to correct this problem, but I can hardly make it to work up a mountain in the thing. I am leaving for California next Thursday (not in the Ford, i'm flying!) and I would like to have this thing reconciled before I leave. Could the electronic throttle body cause these problems or is there something now wrong with the transmission also?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

what you are describing is a transmission failure - either internal or one of the solenoids. I would need the fault code that is setting the check engine light to be more specific
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK Eric, I think we are getting there. I need to have the shop tell me what code is showing for the check engine light and we will go from there. Thank you so much. How much damage am I going to do to keep driving it?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Hard to say on damage you can add to it. If just a solenoid, then none, but if internal failure, then you could go from a partial rebuild to total rebuild.