Daniel, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Technician
17254274

1998 Ford Ranger XLT: assembly..AA..cylinder engine..The engine turns

I have a capacitor assembly (part #F67F-18801-AA) from a 1998 Ford Ranger XLT with the 4-cylinder engine. The wire that goes inside the capacitor came loose. The engine turns over but will not start. Will this prevent the engine from starting?

Daniel :

Welcome to Just answer. We are working on a fast accurate answer Based on the info you have provided. Your time and my time are both Very important.

Daniel :

Hi I am Daniel

Daniel :

No this is the noise supressor for the radio. it keeps the engine noise out of the radio speakers.

Daniel :

Are you with me?

Customer:

Dam, (sorry about that). I have changed spark plugs, spark plug wires, PCV valve, fuel filter and had the clutch, pressure plate and slave cylinder changed. It was running rough before (I needed to pump the accelerator to keep it running), it seemed like a vaccuum leak but I am not sure. The vehicle was used hard by its previous owners and not well maintained. But now it will not start at all, it cranks well but will not fire.

Daniel :

Will it start with starter fluid?

Customer:

I haven't tried that. But I've also never used starting fluid on a vehicle that doesn't have a carburetor (yeah, I'm that old). Where do I spray the fluid?

Daniel :

up breather after air filter is removed the fumes start it

Daniel :

If it start you may have a bad fuel pump relay or fuel pump. if it still doesnt not start then I woud replace the coil.

Customer:

I was wondering about the fuel pump. I take it that the fuel pump is in the gas tank. This vehicle is only a 4 cylinder but has 8 spark plugs and wires. Does this mean that it also has two coils?

Daniel :

click here and yes two coils

Daniel :

yes pump is in the tank but always check the relay

Daniel :

Th fuel pump relay is in the engine compartment fuse box

Customer:

Last question. When I changed the spark plugs and wires I had difficulty getting the wires to seat on the plugs (drivers side). If they are not seated properly could this prevent it from starting? And Thanks for the help.

Daniel :

May be all of them it would probably start and run bad if it was just a couple