davehop
davehop, Ford Technician
Experience:  Fully certified in all phases of automotive repair as recognized and certified by Ford Motor Company
14289869

1991 ford Explorer: ve changed..ignition control module..test light

Customer Question

I have a 1991 ford Explorer it spins but will not start, I've changed the ignition control module, fule pump, fule filter, the only thing I did not change is the fule pump shut-off switch I've used a test light to see if there was power no power can you help?
Category: Ford
Expert:  davehop replied 5 years ago.

davehop :

Hello and welcome to JA, we need to see if you are getting a spark signal to the coil....there are 4 wires in the coil connector, one is red/green, turn on the key and using your test light see if this wire has power, then let me know and we will go to the next step.

Customer:

ok i'll be right back

Customer:

yes, it has power

Customer:

It's not getting gas at all

davehop :

ok, now hook the test light to the Positive battery terminal, and to one of the other wires ion the coil connector, and c rank over the engine, does the test light blink?

Customer:

ok...brb

Customer:

it did not come on at all

davehop :

ok, check one more thing, go inside the car, crank over the engine, tell me if the check engine light stays on when you crank it over or if it goes out.

Customer:

it goes off

davehop :

ok, replace the PCM, you are receiving a signal from the crank sensor, but the PCM is not sending the signal out to the coil.

Customer:

What is a PCM?

davehop :

The PCM is the powertrain control module, the computer for the engine.

Customer:

Would that solve the problem with me not getting gas?

davehop :

the crank sensor sends a signal to the PCM and the ICM..ignition control module, then the PCM sends the spark signal to the coil...you are getting a crank signal, we proved that because the check engine light goes out while cranking. however, there was no blinking at the coil when we checked for the spark signal, so the PCM is at fault.

davehop :

Yes.

Customer:

Thank you for the info. Will purchase the part and get back with you to let you know if that is what the problem was. Thanks again.

davehop :

wait, before you replace it, the PCM is mounted right above the coil, in the firewall, a big 60 oin connector, loosen the 10mm bolt and unplug the connector, see if there is any moisture in the connector, blow it out with compressed air, and then plug it back in and retry to start it, if it still don't start, replace the PCM.

davehop :

Please hit the green accept button if my answer was helpful.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I changed the PCM and the engine just spins