6Bucs
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  Ford senior master tech, 18 years experience.
63005990

2005 ford: cam phasers, chains, tensioners..timing marks..crank

I'm replacing cam phasers, chains, tensioners, and guides on 2005 ford 5.4 3 valve engine and need to know the procedure and the timing marks. I know they use colored links on the chains and from what I've read the crank key goes at 12 o'clock leaving me a timing mark at 7 o'clock. All parts are factory but the gears I got are marked differently, they are both the same and have an "L" with a pointer and an "R" with a pointer, I'm told that the left cam gear goes at 12 o'clock and the right goes at 11 o'clock but I just can't get them to line up.
Category: Ford
Expert:  6Bucs replied 2 years ago.

Hello, my name isXXXXX reading your post, I can tell you that everything there is correct. How can I help you, exactly? Could you use a diagram, or the written procedure?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any info would be helpful, diagrams a plus, I know this is a interfearance motor and the mechanic didn't lock down the cams prior to disassembly. Thank's!
Expert:  6Bucs replied 2 years ago.

No problem. The book procedure is confusing until you've done one. Basically, put the timing mark of the crank sprocket straight down. This will put the keyway at about 11 o'clock position. Put the sprocket with the 'R' on the right (passenger side) of the engine, and the L on the drivers (left) side. The diagram I will include gives a good picture of the approximate angles. It won't line up perfectly. The position isn't as important as the links on the chains are. One link goes right in line with the crankshaft sprocket mark. A little dab of paint on both and a mirror do wonders for this. Install the chain with the slack on the tensioner side and make sure the other colored links line up with the mark on the camshaft sprocket. You will likely have to use a ratchet and a 15mm socket to move the camshaft a little to get it to line up. When it's correct, install the pivoting chain guide, then tensioner, and remove the tensioner clip to pop it open into the guide. Recheck your marks, repeat for the other side, recheck both, and make sure to put the trigger wheel for the crank sensor back on before the timing cover. Rolling the engine over to recheck the marks is a waste because the links roll around and won't line up again for a very long time.

I should also tell you, many people replace the phasers for sticking, or p0021, p0022 codes without checking for a possible oil delivery concern. It's a good idea while the valve covers are off to remove the front camshaft thrust caps and blow through the oil feed with compressed air. Also remove another cap furthur back (your choice) to look for damage, scoring, etc. The phasers often fail due to metal, sludge, or oil filter debris caught inside them.

Here you go...

1. Position the lower end of the LH (inner) timing chain on the crankshaft sprocket, aligning the timing mark on the outer flange of the crankshaft sprocket with the single copper (marked) link on the chain.

graphic

1. NOTE: Make sure the upper half of the timing chain is below the tensioner arm dowel.

Position the timing chain on the LH camshaft phaser and sprocket with the camshaft sprocket timing mark positioned between the 2 copper (marked) chain links.

graphic

1. NOTE: The LH timing chain tensioner arm has a bump near the dowel hole for identification.

Position the LH timing chain tensioner arm on the dowel pin and install the LH timing chain tensioner and bolts.
    • Tighten to 25 Nm (18 lb-ft).

graphic

1. Remove the retaining clip from the LH timing chain tensioner.

graphic

1. Position the lower end of the RH (outer) timing chain on the crankshaft sprocket, aligning the timing mark on the sprocket with the single copper (marked) chain link.

graphic

1. NOTE: The lower half of the timing chain must be positioned above the tensioner arm dowel.

NOTE: The camshaft phaser and sprocket will be stamped with one of the illustrated timing marks for the RH camshaft.

Position the RH timing chain on the RH camshaft phaser and sprocket. Make sure the camshaft sprocket timing mark is positioned between the 2 copper (marked) chain links.

graphic

1. Position the RH timing chain tensioner arm on the dowel pin and install the RH timing chain tensioner and bolts.
    • Tighten to 25 Nm (18 lb-ft).

graphic

1. Remove the retaining clip from the RH timing chain tensioner.
  1. As a post-check, verify correct alignment of all timing marks.

graphic

6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Experience: Ford senior master tech, 18 years experience.