Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

1998 Ford Ranger XLT: cylinder engine..roughly (sounder..vacuum leak

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Ford Ranger XLT with the 4-cylinder engine and 5-speed transmission. It will turn over will "NOT" start. Just prior to this it would run , but roughly (sounder like a vacuum leak). I have changed the spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filter, air filter, oil, oil filter and PCV valve. Gauges, lights, turn signals and radio all work. Can't find a fuse that is blown. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.

Does the check engine light come on with the key on for a bulb check?

Does it go off while cranking the engine over?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, the "check engine" does not come on or any of the other dashlights or warning indicators. Nothing happens on the dash while the engine is cranking.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.
You could have a wiring issue or even a bad ignition switch or a blown fuse. Your check engine light NEEDS to come on with the key on for a bulb check. If not, your computer is not awake and your engine will not start.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I forgot, I also unhooked both of the battery cables to allow the computer to "reboot". But this did not work either.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.
Well this is your problem! Your computer is not even awake! Chances are you are missing a power or a ground to the computer causing it not to wake up. The only other possibility would either be a bad computer or the computer is being shorted out by another computer or a sensor. I would start by checking all powers and grounds going to the PCM. THis includes all powers from all fuses, fusible links and even from the ignition switch.

I hope this helps! Please don't forget hit the green accept button so that I may get credit for the time that I have spent with you. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

I do hope you are as honest with me about your vehicle as I have been with you. If you have any further questions or if you need more assistance, just hit the reply button and we can continue our conversation. Please remember, even if you accept my answer now, you can still repost or respond back to this thread at any time you wish at no further cost and I will be more than happy to continue to work with you until you are happy.

In addition, please allow time between answers as I may be off line spending time with my family or assisting other customers. You can always request me by using the link through my profile page. Just Click on "AMEDEE" next to my picture and I will be sure to respond back in a timely manner.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Which fuse block is the most likely culprit. The one in the engine compartment or passenger compartment? Also, what about that loose wire I found?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.
Any fuse that powers up the computer or the ignition switch can cause this issue.

Do you know what circuit this wire is from?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.
Ok.. if it is part of the circuit that powers up the ignition switch or computer, then yes.. it could be related. If not, then no.