AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2002 F150: guages..It will turn over but wont start..trip

2002 F150, turn the key on and the guages will not respond and thus the vehicle will not start. It will turn over but won't start. Noticed that the trip odoometer will reset itself when the key is turned off. All problems are intermitten.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Does the TPS have 5 volts with the key on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm at work right now but can check it in an hour. Usually after the truck sets for a while it will start and respond normally. This has happened 3 other times. When the key is turned on, the truck will start for aprox 2 seconds then die. If you try again, the same things happen. After that it will spin over but nothing happens. That is when I noticed that the gauges do not respond at all but the warning lights do as well as all the accessories.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Yeah.. it sounds like a communication issue to me. Run the test and let me know!

I will be looking forward to your reply!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, one pin has 5 volts
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Excellent!

Do you know which wire?

Are there any anti theft or security lights on or flashing on the dash?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The top wire and I don't have security so no lights flashing
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Are there dashes in the odometer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
odometer is blank
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
It sounds to me like you just have a bad instrument cluster. This controls the anti theft system on your vehicle. If the cluster is not working, the theft system will not work properly and the vehicle will not start. Just be sure all fuses are in good shape.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you suggesting that I purchase a cluster just to try or where does it get it's power from? Is it one fuse for all gauges or does each have individule fuses? Is there a way to test?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
You bet! Check for power and ground on the wires going into the back of the cluster with the key on. If there is power and ground and the cluster is not responding, usually the instrument cluster is at fault.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am going to test the wires on the back of the insturment pannel and get back with you, if thats OK
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
You bet!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there some way to disable the theft system?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately.. no.. there is no way to bypass it. It is built into the vehicles computer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I still have questions
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

No problem!

Ask away!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The fuel is shut off. could it be the halo with the theft system?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
If there is no fuel pressure but plenty of injector pulse, then yes..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I find that out
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Check fuel pressure and injector pulse.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I turned the key on and checked for fuel and there is none
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Chances are because the PCM is not activating the fuel pump relay
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm going to be out of town this weekend and will touch base with you monday. Have a good weekend.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
You bet!

I hope this helps! Please don't forget hit the green accept button so that I may get credit for the time that I have spent with you. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

I do hope you are as honest with me about your vehicle as I have been with you. If you have any further questions or if you need more assistance, just hit the reply button and we can continue our conversation. Please remember, even if you accept my answer now, you can still repost or respond back to this thread at any time you wish at no further cost and I will be more than happy to continue to work with you until you are happy.

In addition, please allow time between answers as I may be off line spending time with my family or assisting other customers. You can always request me by using the link through my profile page. Just Click on "AMEDEE" next to my picture and I will be sure to respond back in a timely manner.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience: ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector