6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  Ford senior master tech, 18 years experience.

Ford F350 SuperDuty Pickup 4x4: my oil dipstick broke off at

Customer Question

my oil dipstick broke off at the top what is the best way to get it out ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  6Bucs replied 4 years ago.

Hello, James here. What engine is in your F350?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
6.4 ltr
Expert:  6Bucs replied 4 years ago.

If you have a hand vacuum pump, I've had some luck applying vacuum to the top of the dipstick tube at least moving the broken stick a little until you can get some needle nose pliers onto the broken piece. If pliers won't grab, try to carefully tag into the outside perimeter of the broken stick with a small mechanics pick. If none of the above is successful or you have already tried all of this, here is the procedure to remove the dipstick tube. You likely won't have to take it all the way out. If you can unbolt it and slide the tube out enough, you should be able to grab the bottom of the stick with needle nose pliers and force it out from the bottom.

Removal and Installation

1. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02.
  1. Remove the degas bottle. For additional information, refer to Section 303-03.
  1. Disconnect the vacuum tube from the engine fill hose and remove the engine fill hose. Disconnect the heater hose and position aside.

1. Remove and discard the bolt for the steering shaft. Separate the steering shaft.
    • To install, tighten to 48 Nm (35 lb-ft).

1. NOTICE: The coolant hose clamps used on this engine are constant tension worm gear clamps. Standard worm gear clamps cannot be used. Failure to use the correct coolant hose clamps may result in hose joint failure.

Loosen the clamps and remove the EGR cooler supply hose. Remove and discard the clamps.
    • Install new clamps on the EGR cooler supply hose.
    • To install, tighten to 4 Nm (35 lb-in).
  1. Remove the oil level indicator and nut from the oil level indicator tube.
    • To install, tighten to 31 Nm (23 lb-ft).
  1. Remove the bolt and the oil level indicator tube.
    • Remove and discard the O-ring seal.
    • To install, tighten to 13 Nm (115 lb-in).
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
    • Install a new O-ring seal.
    • Install a new bolt for the steering shaft.

Expert:  6Bucs replied 4 years ago.
Hello. Let me know if you were successful in removing the stick, or if I can assist you in any other way.