6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  Ford senior master tech, 18 years experience.

1996 Ford F-250: Diesel what controls the ground..glow plug relay

1996 Ford F-250 Diesel what controls the ground on the back side of the glow plug relay? I don't have any ground to make the relay work.
Category: Ford
Expert:  6Bucs replied 4 years ago.

The glow plug relay control signal is used to control a relay to cycle the glow plugs for assisting engine start-up. Glow plugs will be operated at low ambient temperature and/or high altitude. Engine oil temperature, battery voltage, and barometric pressure are used to control the glow plug relay. At colder temperatures, the plugs are on longer. At high battery voltage the duty cycle is reduced to prevent plug damage. For low barometric pressure, the ON time is extended to assist start/drive-away.

Expert:  6Bucs replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm not sure the chat portion of my post got to you. The PCM grounds the relay at the low current side to energize the glow plugs. The high current side then grounds through the plugs themselves, through the heads and back to the battery.