Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

Ford F Super Duty: how to change fuel pump on a 99 f350 with

Customer Question

how to change fuel pump on a 99 f350 with a v10
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

Hello, My name is Randall. I will do my best to assist you.

I need to know if your gas tank is at rear of truck or behind rear axle OR along the side of the truck say running along side the frame?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
in front of the axle along the d side frame rail
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. Please bear with me as I need to pull up and send the repair information to you. Back shortly
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
k
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

Ok obviously this job is much easier up on a lift and using a trans jack to lower tank. If you have fule in the tank, it will be heavy and have to use a drain machine to draw gas from tank. If you can drain the tank, it will be heavy and if on the ground will need to use floor jacks.

You will also need the fuel line diconnect tool. Its a small special tool for removing the lines from top of tank. Most all parts stores sell the tool

Once tank is out, you undo the ring at top of pump and slide pump out of the tank

Click HERE for tank removal and then Click HERE for pump removal

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what is the preferred way to release the fuel line residual pressure?
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

diconnect NEG side of battery. Go to the fule injector rail on the engine. Look for the fule pressure test port as shown below. It should still have a cap on it like a valve stem on a tire. Depres the pintle inside and fule pressure will be released. have a rag around it to help keep clean

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was hoping for some more insight rather than the same information that was available from open sources
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Please tell me what you require. i can possibly help with some steps but not being there is difficult and you ahve not emntioned what info you already have on hand and what details in particular you need. I can only assume you needed the repair info as offered by manufacturer as well as i added some add'l . In order to help, i need to know what details you seek. I am here to help but cant without knowing detailed info you need. Pls LMk thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I was hoping for a list of things to look out for. As you are well aware very few jobs go according to the book. Most will have minor snafus that only experience will prepare you for. So I followed the instructions that came with the pump and all went mostly ok. The old pump did not release by squeezing the tabs. But after fighting with it for a while, I reached alongside and popped the tabs loose by working on the bottom of the tabs. That is the type of snafus I would have liked to have been ready for from jump street.

Thanks and a Happy New Year, Mike

Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry and understand now but.. I can only respond to the question as to how the question was worded and you only asked how to change the pump and tried "nothing" so i have to start somewhere. I am on/off through most each day and here to help but can only go on what info is supplied to us as we do not know ones skill level etc. Sorry you ran into some snags as its not a 123 job but i never know what snag you may hit. each vehicle is dfferent. thanks for the followup and hope you have a good year as well.