Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

Ford F-150 FX2: Have two AOD Transmissions that look alike....

Customer Question

Have two AOD Transmissions that look alike.... the differance is one has the whole drilled out and for the Speedometer cable to go in. The Extension housing has these numbers RF F2TP-7A040-AA.

The other transmission housing is the same except the whole were the Speedometer cable would plug in, it was never drilled out and the number on the housing is RF EoAP 7A040 BD

I was told that if I count the wholes the transmissions would enterchange. I pulled the motor and the Transmission out of a 1992 F-150 to put in my 1991 F-150.... Changed out the wiring harness and distributor..... That is when I noticed the one thing on the transmission that was different....

I am wondering if I can pull the extention housing off the one and put it on the other and they would work?

I've been reading with no sucess the last three hours.... I'm afraid from what I read that the two transmission may not be enterchangable... Any suggestion would be appreciated.... There is also large numbers on the bell housing.... (Two Digits) do the mean anything? I think one says 22 and the other on say 53 I think
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question.

I am 99% certain (haven't had one that old apart in a while) that the 92 is not going to have the drive gear machined into the output shaft in which case the output shafts would need to be swapped which would mean complete disassembly of both units. I would pop the extension housings off and compare the shafts. Strange the 92 must be an early build because all the 92's that I remember had 4R70W (AODE) transmissions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have some other information the 1991 Transmission had a number 22 in the middle of the housing. the nuber on the side of the transmission was RF E9DP 7006 -AA and the extension housing RF F2tp-7A040-AA

The 1992 had a big number 57 in the middles of the bell housing, The Transmission had the number RF E9DP 7006 and the extension housing RF EOAP 7A040 BD

What doe these numbers mean and how can I tell what type of AOD Transmissions I have. The 1991 AOD Transmission won't shift into overdrive (Last Gear)..... That is why i was going to swap it out..... What is normally going out that would keep if from shifting to that last gear and how hard is it to fix...... I'm good with a manual and just rebuilt the 5.0 engine in my other Ford F-150..... It has a different Transmission, it has the E4AOD...

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 years ago.
These are all casting numbers for the individual cast molds. I would need actual transmission engineering numbers ( usually a tag on the side of the case) looks like this:
graphic

If the 91 slips into neutral at the 3/4 shift then its going to need an overhaul usually will need a direct cylinder and piston, o/d band and rev drum at the very minimum...

Are the neutral safety switches the same on both of these transmissions? Do they both have 2 levers on the drivers side of the case main shift lever and TV pressure control?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's my problem.... No Tags...... I had to use cleaners to read what i got off them...

They both have tweo levers on the driver side. They are shaped a little different from what I remember..... but they both have the two levers.... I can't believe they didn't mark those transmissions better......

The 91 does not slip into nuetral.... It shifts into all gears..... except when your around 55 -65 MPH, you could feel it shift and the RPM's would decrease.... I was thinking that it's not shifting into overdrive.

If the 1992 is a AOD/E..... Isn't there someway I can take what I need out of the 1992 F-150 and put it in the 1991 to make it work? Can't find any information on line....

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 years ago.
They are both aod's if they both have 2 levers. Without tags I can't guarantee the parts are interchangeable. If you feel a shift and a RPM decrease at 55-65 then what makes you think the O/D is not working?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What I meant was that is what I normally felt happening..... Now when I'm at that speed it doesn't kick the RPMs Down like it used to.....

Do you know why one AOD Transmission would have the Speedometer cable whole cut out and the otherone wasn't? If I pull the Extension housing off, and the spindle or the shaft looks the same... Would it be safe to swith them? It is weird that the on with out the Speedometer cable would have the same 4 pin wire on the driver side as the other one had..... (Round connector)

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 years ago.
Ford switched over from manual speedometers to electronic. All the vehicle speed data came from the rear axle speed sensor and was used for speedometer,ABS,PCM cruise control etc...

Thats why I said to pull both extension housings and have a look and see if the drive is there on the output shaft. You might get lucky and it will be there on the 92 and then you can just switch housings. If not then you will need to switch the shafts over. If the shift and TV levers are different then they will need to be switched over too. If you are using the engine from the 92 then the TV lever can stay - it was designed for the throttle setup on the 92.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks I'll do that first thing in the morning... Hopefully I'll get lucky.....

So on the old 1991 transmission if it doesn't kick the RPM's down like it used to..... Is something just sticking or does it need a repair job done on it? Never rebuilt a transmission.... I figured I would need a lot of special tools.....

Thank You for all of your help and advice and being patient with me.... could you please explain what the drive looks like that should be on the shaft? I take it if I take the ends off of both of them they should look the same?

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 years ago.
On the 91 are you saying that its just staying in third gear? If so then it probably has a valve body concern. If it slips at the 3/4 shift then what I described before applies.

Pull the housing off the 91 and look where the speedo gear rides on the output shaft. It should have a worm gear machined into the shaft. Once you have that identified then pull the 92 housing and see if it has the same machined worm gear.

Also if there are teeth on the 92 then be sure and count them as there were 7 and 8 tooth versions. Also there were some differences in the driveshaft support bushings depending on model year and engine. make sure the bushings are the same diameter.

See pic below

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

took them apart this morning... wouls love to send you a picture of what i see...

they both have 8 teeth. they both have a rectangle box on the shaft... the only differance is the 1992 groves that come out the back are longer (Same size around the shaft) or they go further back than the 1991

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 years ago.
The box is the governor. You mean the driveshaft splines are longer? Measure from the governor body to the end of the shaft.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The driveshaft spline are the same length.... When you said after I take the housing off and make sure the drive is there..... did you mean the 7 or 8 teeth.... in the picture?

In the picture you sent me has a (Bald area) in between the groves the drive shaft goes into and where the 7 or 8 teeth area.... The 1991 looks like your picture.... The 1992 has no bald area and goes all the was to the 7 or 8 teeth area.

Ken

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 years ago.
I meant the drive gear that is machined into the shaft the spot I have an arrow pointing to in the picture. You can take pictures load them in your computer and use the paper clip to post them here.