Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master

2005 f150: Climate control..I switch the dial to defrost, it

I have a 2005 f150 with a Manual Climate control. When I switch the dial to defrost, it blows out the front panel. When I switch to max ac where it should blow out the front panel, it blows out the defrost.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ironmike replied 4 years ago.

was the controller new or used?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My original switch went dead. I put a used one in and it had the problem I am asking about. I then put another used one that has exact same problem

Expert:  Ironmike replied 4 years ago.
You may have an actuator problem. I would disconnect the floor/defrost actuator see if it will reset. It may be failing, lost its position. Should be up under the dash above the gas pedal. on the side of the hvac housing. You can try to move the actuator with the controller with it connected electrically but off the housing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When installing the new actuator is there anything special to do so that it is in the proper position. I see there is an arrow on the actuator, I guess for some kind of position indicator when installing.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 4 years ago.
you can put the drive into the blend door and then turn the actuator till the mounting holes line up. When you turn the ignition key on the first time wait 30 seconds before you change the temp. Let the actuator find it's position.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the temp actuator is not the problem. Its the door that switches fom defrost vents to panel vents. I installed a new actuator and still has original problem. When I switch to defrost it blows through the front panel vents and vica versa. The actuator works very smooth and has a quick response, just opposite of what it should be. I don't know what is between the switch and the actuator. Maybe some kind of relay that is bad or something. Any ideas?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 4 years ago.

I did say to disconnect the actuator and leave it connected to see if it works first. when you said you switched the manual control module, junk yard?

you have to select direction on manual, is this auto climate control?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the control module was junkyard. then a second from junkyard with exact same symtoms.

Expert:  Ironmike replied 4 years ago.

you might have changed the wrong actuator. there is one for the floor/defrost . many times these actuators are the same for different functions

let me see if I can find a better description of where it is.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was able to manually control what this actuator controls and it was changing the airflow from defrost to front panel. I also watched the actuator when I switched from a/c to defrost and it was turning. There is a similar looking actuator a few inches below the one I replaced. I'm not sure what it does.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One more question then I'll stop bugging. All the ohm readings on my wiring were correct so thats not an issue. On the workshop manual I sent you look at p8. Can you tell me what clear the dtc's refers to and how do you do that.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 4 years ago.

great. some times ford is not so clear on location. They have also changed actuator design and location on a few models, hard to keep up. Clearing the dtc's or trouble codes can be done with a scanner or by disconnecting the battery.

having trouble opening the workshop manual sent.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 4 years ago.

here is the cold reboot procedure.

Not allowed to copy ford site so i find else where and verify.

Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (EATC) Module and Electronic Manual
Temperature Control (EMTC) Module Cold Boot Process
purpose of the cold boot process is to allow the EATC or EMTC module to
re-initialize and calibrate the door actuators. To carry out the cold boot
process, follow the steps below.

they kind of mix the auto climate or eatc and the emtc

Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Disconnect the EATC or EMTC module electrical connectors.
Wait one minute .
Connect the EATC or
EMTC module electrical connectors.
Turn the ignition
switch to the ON position.
Select any position except OFF
on the EATC or EMTC module. The EATC or EMTC module will now initialize and
calibrate the mode doors. Calibration of the mode doors will take approximately
30 seconds .