Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2004 Ford Explorer: accelerate..a loud knocking noise coming..tire

Hello, I have a 2004 Ford Explorer & when I accelerate or decelerate there is a loud knocking noise coming from the engine. Also, it is starting to handle sloppy while turning as if a tire was going flat but they are not.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Do you get any vibration issues while driving?

When your turning and its handling bad is this at highway speeds or parking lot speeds or in between?

Any moan or groan or howl type noises when driving and or swerving safely above 30mph?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Chris,

I don't really experience any vibration when I am driving it, just a loud thumping noise coming from the engine compartment, it is especially noticable when I accelarate and decelerate and when I brake to a stop the noise slows down to nothing when I come to a complete stop. Also, when I am idling, there is not noise whatsoever and the engine runs smoothly. The handling problem seems to have started this morning. I noticed it when I was turning on a local road at speeds around 30mph. It feels like I have a flat yet the tires look fine. And finally, I have noticed before that there was a slight groaning noise whenever I turned the vehicle to the right only. Hope this information helps and many thanks in advance.

Of course I cant hear nor feel it, so all I can do is list things to check based on your description. I will list the things to check in the same order I would.

1. Front wheel hub bearings
  2. Front axle halfshaft CV joints
  3. Front upper and lower ball joints
  4. Front stabilizer bar end links
  5. Broken and or loose caliper bracket or caliper mounting bolts
  6. Engine mounts
  7. Tie rod ends
  8. Steering rack mounting bolts and bushings