Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Expedition: The Service Engine Soon light..oil level..engine oil

The Service Engine Soon light blinked for a few minutes in my 02 Expedition and then went off. I checked all fluid levels and found that the oil level was not registering on the dip stick. Is low engine oil a reason that the Service Engine Soon light would blink?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

How many miles on your Expedition?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
244k
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
The check engine light comes on and flashes when the PCM (computer) sees a direct engine misfire. Although it's not good to run the engine low on oil, this will not turn the check engine light on. In most cases, when the light is flashing is caused by a bad spark plug and/or spark plug boot. At 244,000 miles I would start with replacing the spark plugs and the spark plug boots. When doing so be sure to use the OE Motorcraft spark plugs because aftermarket spark plugs do not perform well in this engine. And when replacing the spark plugs and boots be sure to add a small dab of dielectric grease to each boot to avoid any type of spark leakage. In most cases this should resolve the problem you're having.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How long can I safely drive with this situation?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately if the light is blinking you really do not want to drive the truck anymore than you have to because this can cause damage to the catalytic converters due to the rich condition from the missing cylinder which will cause the catalytic converter to overheat. If you can avoid driving if you would be much better served to not do so until you can afford to make the proper repair.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
any estimate on appx cost to repair if done at a dealership?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Most dealerships will charge about three hours to replace the spark plugs and boots plus the price of the plugs and boots but this does not have to be done at a dealer providing you have them installed the Motorcraft spark plugs. Most independent shops will charge somewhat less and can save you some money.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs