AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1987 Ford Ranger XLT: wont start..Cranks over...sparkplug..coil

1987 Ford Ranger XLT won't start. Cranks over. No Spark at sparkplug wires or coil. Replaced coil today. Pump throttle can smell gas up front. Shot ether into airfilter and turned over didn't ignite. Dual tanks and fuel pumps. Both can be shot, and it doesn't explain no spark.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.
Hello!

Does the check engine light come on with the key on?

Does the check engine light go off while cranking the engine over?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no it doesn't
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.
No to which one?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it doesn't come on while turning the engine over, does come on when I just turn the key on.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.
So it comes on with the key on but goes off while cranking the engine over?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.
Does the distributor rotor turn when cranking the engine over?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
that I haven't checked I guess I'd have to pull distributor cap, can it get out of time if I do? that was going to be tommorows project see if dist cap bad, rotor bad, module bad. but how?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.
You could have a bad ignition module causing your no spark condition.

Here is a good test you can do to check the ignition coil inputs.

First thing to do is check to see if the coil has power with the key in the on position. You can use a test light or a voltmeter.

Next step would be to see if its getting a ground signal trigger. This is done with a test light. But only you would hook it up backwards. Hook the alligator clip of the test light and hook it to battery positive, and take the tip of the test light and touch it the signal wire of the coil. The test light should blink when cranking over the engine if its getting a signal. If you use a conventional test light, it will flicker very very dim (so look closely) if the coil is getting a signal to fire the spark.