Steve
Steve, Ford Technician
Experience:  25 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.
43460220

1993 ford: van has no power when you accelerate..pedel..backfire

Customer Question

1993 ford e150 after warm up van has no power when you accelerate and if you hold the pedel down it will backfire
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

Sounds like a lack of fuel pressure.

Steve :

If it is backfirng and has no power it is because you are running lean or do not have the fuel pressure you need to run properly.

Steve :

WHAT HAVE YOU REPLACED SO FAR?

Steve :

What test have you run?

Customer:

I checked it with a pressure gauge and it was ok. could it go down while driving?

Steve :

No it should go up when driving

Steve :

Have you replaced the fuel filter yet?

Customer:

yes

Steve :

What is your pressure in park and the pressure under a load?

Customer:

I have replaced the fuel pump 3 times on this van but it has always stopped running when it was bad.

Customer:

it was 40 then went to 30

Steve :

The problem is the fuel pressure is droping under a load should go up 10 pounds from the pressure in park

Customer:

The van runs fine untill it warms up

Customer:

could it be the rgulator

Steve :

When you replaced the fuel pump did you use a Ford pump or a aftermarket fuel pump?

Customer:

aftermarket

Steve :

Did you change the sock on the rnd of the pump?

Steve :

or just the pump?

Customer:

i fust put it what they gave me. dont know what the sock is

Steve :

On the end of the fuel pump is a meshed screen Needs to be replaced because it plugs up like a fuel filter.

Customer:

would it have came with the new pump?

Steve :

If you just replaced the pump and not the screen it will cause the pump to go out

Customer:

if it was bad wouldnt the van stop running alltogether

Steve :

No they do not come with aftermarket pump. Reason to replace with Ford pump comes all together as a assembly

Steve :

No the pump is a motor and the motor losses the ability to build pressure and causes this concern. I have seen it many time still run ok but cannot produce enough pressure. A normal pump should be able to produce 100 psi when dead headed.

Steve :

I have seen many times the fuel pump from aftermarket go bad early. You need to replace it with a Ford fuel pump to fix the concern.

Steve :

Or if you use a aftermarkes pump replace the screen on the end of the pump.

Customer:

can you buy the screen from the autoparts store as the ford delership is closed today

Customer:

I just put the pump in 6 months ago

Steve :

Yes you can buy both You need to replace both not just one.

Customer:

ok i will try it

Steve :

You will need to replace the pump and the sck together. The pump is bad from the old sock

Steve :

If you just do the sock it will not solve the concern.

Customer:

why would it run ok for awhile? then start acting up

Steve :

The sock has a bunch of crap in it and it slowly goes into the pump and takes the pump out after a while.

Customer:

ok thank you

Steve :

When you pull the pump You will see the sock is black or brown from the crap in it should be white as snow.

Steve :

your welcome

Customer:

I dont think I ever put the sock back in I never transferred it from the old pump

Customer:

Is there a trouble code for this

Steve :

Ok that really explains it crap from the tank is going directly into the pump and taking it out

Steve :

You need the sock it is the filter for the pump

Steve :

No codes for this maby lean code

Customer:

ok

Steve, Ford Technician
Experience: 25 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.