Mat
Mat, Ford Senior Master Technician
Experience:  11 yrs at FLM Dealer, Senior Master Tech 05-present, ASE Master tech, Auto trans & Diesel
49638932

2002 ford explorer: 6cyl..4x4..four wheel drive wont engage

Customer Question

2002 ford explorer 4door 6cyl 4x4. four wheel drive wont engage. doesnt light up on the dash or anything. i tested power at the back of the switch. has power in 2 places not sure where to check next.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mat replied 2 years ago.
Hi I would like to help you out. Have you retrieved any codes from the 4x4 module? It does take a ford scan tool or another high quality tool to access the codes in the module. The 2002 explorers are notorious for failed 4x4 modules, every winter around my area we do about a dozen a month at my dealership. The module is located under the glovebox. It has two connectors, unplug both connectors for 5-10 minutes and then plug them back in and retest. It may work normal, it may just light up lights etc. Just look for any change from what your experiencing now. If the simple reset procedure has made any change then the module has failed and needs to be replaced. No programming required on 2002 models.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is it the black box that says bosch on it? its to the right behind the glovebox?
Expert:  Mat replied 2 years ago.

Yes exactly, connectors should be at the bottom of it, floor side

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
did exactly what you said still no change with 4x4, does this mean the 4x4 module is bad?
Expert:  Mat replied 2 years ago.
most likely, some times they will make a change sometimes not. The best way to tell would be to pull codes, but if there was no change the module is most likely unresponsive anyways. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hmmm. The box unplugged was plugs facing the firewall.
Expert:  Mat replied 2 years ago.
Ok I'll send you a picture so we on the same page. Give me few minutes to get to my computer and I'll send a picture. To unplug this you don't have to open the glovebox. Just lay on your back and look up near the left side of the glovebox. I'll send you a picture soon.
Expert:  Mat replied 2 years ago.

Here is the 4x4 module

graphic

Expert:  Mat replied 2 years ago.
Hi I was just checking back to see if you were able to locate the 4x4 module?