john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field
6149662

F-350: you bleed the slave cylinder clutcline

How do you bleed the slave cylinder clutcline on a 2007Ford F-350 Super duty truck?
Category: Ford
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 2 years ago.

Hi I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.
john aka eauto

1. Fill the clutch master cylinder reservoir to the full line with clean brake fluid.

1. Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Maintenance/Service and Repair.
      1. Disconnect the clutch hydraulic tube from the floor pan clip.
      2. Position the slave cylinder and the hydraulic tube so that there are no high points that could trap air in the system.
        • Position the slave cylinder push rod downward. Route the hydraulic tube upward as straight as possible toward the master cylinder so that the air can flow freely to the fluid reservoir.
          1. CAUTION: Do not allow the clutch master cylinder reservoir to run dry.

Purge the air from the clutch hydraulic system.

• Push the push rod slowly into the slave cylinder until it bottoms out the piston. Hold the push rod in this position for 5 to 10 seconds to allow all trapped air to rise through the system. Very slowly, so that air is not drawn back into the slave cylinder, release the push rod (the spring in the slave cylinder will force the piston outward). Wait 5 to 10 seconds for the air bubbles to rise. Tap the lines to assist in releasing air bubbles, which may be trapped in the line bends. Repeat this process until all air purged from the system. Verify that the fluid in the reservoir is free of air bubbles.
    2. NOTE: The 5.4L and 6.8L clutch control systems have heat shields that cover most of the tube and clutch slave cylinder To unlock the slave cylinder, slide the heat shield back and off the slave cylinder. Slide the heat shield over the tube.

Unlock and remove the slave cylinder from the transmission.

• Push the slave cylinder forward to compress the seal and at the same time twist it counterclockwise to unlock it from the transmission
      1. Install the slave cylinder.
        • Compress and twist the slave cylinder clockwise to lock it onto the transmission.
        • For 5.4L and 6.8L clutch control systems, make sure to slide the heat shield forward and over the slave cylinder until it contacts the transmission case.
          1. Connect the clutch hydraulic tube to the floor pan clip.
          2. Lower the vehicle.
          3. Slowly depress and release the clutch pedal 20 to 25 times to bleed any air still trapped in the system. Verify that the fluid in the reservoir is free of air bubbles.
          4. Verify that the fluid level in the reservoir is correct, and install the cap
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience: ase tech over 15 years in the field