Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist

1995 Ford Ranger: then, the charging warning light..engine compartment

1995 Ford Ranger with a 2.3 L engine -

The battery was replaced recently. Since then, the charging warning light in the dash
flickers on and off at times. I have looked for any faulty battery connections and faulty ground wires in the engine compartment. I found none. When I test for proper charging at the battery terminals, the alternator is outputting just over 14 volts at idle. That seems good. If I rev up the engine, the charging voltage drops to the mid 12 volt range. When
the engine drops back to idle, the charging voltage climbs back to 14+ volts. I believe this
situation can result in a battery draw-down when the truck is driven at night with the headlights and an accesories turned on.
Do you have any suggestionsd?

Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Hello, My name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you

f you have a meter or testlight, can you check the black/orange and.. the yellow/white wire at alternator for 12 volts + with engine not running?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a good Fluke meter and will do the test you suggest and I will get back to you with the results.
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
great thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did not see an ACCEPT button, or I would certainly hit it, even though we have finished. Unfortunately, the owner of the Ranger cannot make it available to me until

Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
ok, you will not see that button yet. let me gather some info and send for you to test and at least have idea where problme lies. back shortly
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
You did not mention but I assume it was/is a new battery. Sounds like it is ok as engine will start. You have done the obvious by checking battery terminals for clean and tight. You then check both wires at alternator and be sure each has 12 volts. If so? you have correct voltages to the alternator, The last wire goes to the light which we know works. Unfortunatley if all thses check out, you have a failing alternator or more so the internal regulator. Unsure whya after new battery but maybe the old battery was just shorting inside and was over time affecting the alternator. Here is the wiring diagram. Rather easy circuits

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The Ranger had been sitting for several months and the battery was old. The Ranger engine was running so roughly that it was not drivable. I replaced the sparkplugs, as they were shot and I replaced a bad vacuum hose. This made the engine run perfectly, but the battery would not hold a charge. The owner replaced the battery with a new one and he said the terminals were clean. I will double check them when I test the voltage at the altenator.