Bamaman39, Ford Technician
Experience:  10 years ford experience, Ford Senior Master Diesel And Gasoline Tech

2005 ford explorer: check charging system light flashes..up.

I own a 2005 ford explorer and the check charging system light flashes up on the digital display and dings all the time it is up.Here lately doing it more often. I cannot find a reason for it. Need to know what is causing problem and how to find and repair it or shut this off.
can you please tell me, is the computer seeing a problem with the altenator or is the alternator working outside of a predetermined peramitor. Our altnator has been replaced as well as the battery all within the last 2years.
The check engine light does not come on nor does the scan tool give a code.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 4 years ago.

Bamaman39 :

Thank you for using just answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX i will assist you today.

Bamaman39 :

Bamaman39 :

Let me know when you get back online

Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 4 years ago.
The first thing to do is check fuse 21 in the central fuse box. If the fuse is good then you may have a regulator issue in the alternator. The regulator will not cause charging failure but will make the light come on. I would have alternator checked. you can use a volt meter to see if you are getting close to 14 volts while running. If the alternator is checking out fine and its charging then you may need to take it to the dealer as the instrument cluster or pcm may be at fault
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

can the peramiters on the pcm be altered at the dealership to make a wider operating range?

Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 4 years ago.
No it cannot.
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 4 years ago.

Have you checked the fuse?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no not yet when he does this if it isn't the fuse then would his question he just asked is that possible
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 4 years ago.

The pcm cannot be altered. If its not the fuse then you probably have a weak alternator. A pcm and cluster does go out but its rare. I would have the alternator checked. It needs around 14 volts when running

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there anything other than the fuse and altenator that we could check before taking in for the pcm and cluster check.
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 4 years ago.

The only other thing is the battery. Other than the battery and alternator thats about it. The charging system is a simple system

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks for your help have a good night
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 4 years ago.
Your welcome. If you ever have any futher questions please ask. If happy with answer please click accept so i can get credit for my work. Thank you