Marty
Marty, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Certified. 20 years experience. Certified training in: driveability, electronics, etc.
50706092

p0706 and p0707 code on a 2010 fusion I am working on.

I have P0706 and P0707 code on a 2010 fusion I am working on. Could this be a bad wire to the transmission plug? I have worked on the transmission and the oil is not in yet. The dash shows "Service Advancetrac"
Allow me to help in diagnosing your vehicle! If I helped make sure to hit ACCEPT button so as I can get credited.

Iam not sure what equipment yu have to diagnose this concern so I you can follow the pinpoint tests for this code with what you have. I have changed a few TR Transmission range sensors on these before.

PINPOINT TEST D: TR SENSOR

NOTE: Refer to the transaxle connector illustrations and solenoid body leadframe internal wiring diagram Transaxle Connector Layouts in this section.

NOTE: Transmission Range (TR) codes may be a result of a bad common power and ground shared between the TR sensor, Output Shaft Speed (OSS) sensor and Turbine Shaft Speed (TSS) sensor.

Test StepResult / Action to Take
D1 VERIFY DTCs
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Select PARK.
  • Start the engine.
  • Carry out the On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) Test. DTCs P0706, P0707 and P0708 cannot be set by an incorrectly adjusted selector lever cable.
  • Are only TR DTC codes present?
Yes
GO to D3.

No
GO to D2.
D2 VERIFY SELECTOR LEVER CABLE/LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT
  • Verify that the selector lever cable/linkage is correctly adjusted. Refer to Section 307-05A.
  • Is the selector lever cable/linkage correctly adjusted?
Yes
GO to D3.

No
ADJUST the selector lever cable/linkage. REFER to Section 307-05A. GO to D4.
D3 CHECK THE ELECTRICAL SIGNAL OPERATION
  • Select PARK.
  • Disconnect: PCM Transaxle C175T.
  • Disconnect: Transaxle Vehicle Harness C1520A.
  • Use a mirror to inspect both ends of the connectors for damaged or pushed-out terminals, corrosion, loose wires and missing or damaged seals.
  • Is there damage to the connectors, terminals or harness?
Yes
REPAIR as required. CLEAR the DTCs and RERUN OBD tests.

No
GO to D4.
D4 CHECK ELECTRICAL SYSTEM OPERATION (TR AND PCM)
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Connect the scan tool.
  • Connect: PCM Transaxle Harness C175T.
  • Connect: Transaxle Vehicle Harness C1520A.
  • Ignition ON.
  • Enter the following diagnostic mode on the scan tool: TR PIDs TR_DC and TR_FREQ.
  • Move the selector lever into each gear and stop.
  • Observe the following PIDs; TR_DC and TR_FREQ while wiggling harness or driving the vehicle.
  • Monitor PID: TR_FREQ.
  • Compare the PID: TR_DC to the TR position Duty Cycle Chart.

Selector Lever PositionRange (% Duty Cycle)
    P8.0 - 25.8
    R37.50 - 49.31
    N54.54 - 62.49
    D67.35 - 81.15
    L81.15 - 92

• Is PID TR_FREQ between 100 to 150 Hz?

Is PID TR_DC in range?

Do the PIDs TR_DC and TR_FREQ remain steady when the harness is wiggled or the vehicle driven?
Yes
The problem is not in the TR sensor system. REFER to Diagnosis By Symptom in this section for further diagnosis.

No
If the PIDs change when wiggling the harness or driving the vehicle, the problem may be intermittent. GO to D5.
D5 CHECK THE TRANSAXLE VEHICLE HARNESS FOR AN OPEN
  • Disconnect: PCM Transaxle Harness C175T.
  • Measure the resistance for the TR sensor circuits between the transaxle vehicle harness C1520A and the PCM transaxle harness C175T using the following chart.

Transmission Range Sensor CircuitTransaxle Vehicle HarnessPCM
    TR Ground RET24 (BN/BU)C1520A-20C175T-36
    TR Signal VET32 (VT)C1520A-17C175T-39
    TR Power LE111 (VT/GN)C1520A-18C175T-1

• Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
GO to D6.

No
REPAIR the circuit. CONNECT all components. TEST the system for normal operation.
D6 CHECK THE TRANSAXLE VEHICLE HARNESS FOR A SHORT TO GROUND
  • Disconnect: Transaxle Vehicle Harness C1520B.
  • Measure the resistance for the TR sensor circuits between the transaxle vehicle harness C1520A and ground using the following chart.

Transmission Range Sensor CircuitTransaxle Vehicle HarnessGround
    TR Ground RET24 (BN/BU)C1520A-20Ground
    TR Signal VET32 (VT)C1520A-17Ground
    TR Power LE111 (VT/GN)C1520A-18Ground

• Are all resistances greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes
GO to D7.

No
REPAIR shorted circuit(s). RECONNECT all components. TEST the system for normal operation.
D7 CHECK THE TRANSAXLE VEHICLE HARNESS FOR A SHORT TO POWER
  • Measure the voltage for the TR sensor circuits between the transaxle vehicle harness C1520A and ground using the following chart.

TR Ground RET24 (BN/BU)C1520A-20Ground
    TR Signal VET32 (VT)C1520A-17Ground
    TR Power LE111 (VT/GN)C1520A-18Ground

• Is any voltage present?
Yes

No
GO to D8.
D8 CHECK FOR A SHORT BETWEEN TR/PCM INPUT SIGNAL CIRCUITS
  • Measure the resistance between TR sensor circuits at the transaxle vehicle harness C1520A using the following chart.

Transaxle Vehicle HarnessTR Sensor CircuitTransaxle Vehicle Harness
    C1520A-20TR Ground RET24 (BN/BU)C1520A-17 and C1520A-18
    C1520A-17TR Signal VET32 (VT)C1520A-18 and C1520A-20
    C1520A-18TR Power LE111 (VT/GN)C1520A-17 and C1520A-20

Yes
GO to D9.

No
REPAIR shorts on circuits having less than 10,000 ohms between other TR/PCM input signal circuits. RECONNECT all components. TEST the system for normal operation.
D9 CHECK FOR AN INTERNAL SOLENOID BODY OPEN FOR THE TR SENSOR CIRCUITS
  • Remove the main control cover. Refer to Main Control Cover in this section.
  • Disconnect: TR Sensor Connector.
  • Use a mirror to inspect both ends of the connector for damage or pushed-out terminals, corrosion, loose wires and missing or damaged seals.
  • Measure the resistance of the TR sensor circuits between the solenoid body leadframe main connector, component side and the TR sensor connector, leadframe side.

Solenoid Body Leadframe Main Connector Pin NumberTR Sensor Pin NumberCircuit Function (Wire Color)
    181Transmission Range (TR) power (RD)
    172TR signal (WH)
    203TR ground (BK)

Sorry missed the last step

D10 CHECK FOR VOLTAGE AND GROUND AT THE TR SENSOR CONNECTOR
  • Connect: PCM C175T.
  • Ignition ON.
  • Measure the voltage on the solenoid body leadframe between TR sensor connector pins 1 (RD) and 3 (BK) solenoid body leadframe side.

• Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?
Yes
INSTALL a new TR sensor. REFER to Digital Transmission Range (TR) Sensor in this section. TEST the system for normal operation. If the condition is still present, INSTALL a new PCM. REFER to Section 303-14A or Section 303-14B.

No
INSTALL a new PCM. REFER to Section 303-14A or Section 303-14B. CONNECT all components. TEST the system for normal operation.