Brad
Brad, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
5135651
Ford

1999 ford f 150: right rear..the brake light doesnt work..tail light

i have a 1999 ford... Show More
i have a 1999 ford f 150 the right rear turn signal blinks real fast and the brake light doesnt work i only have a tail light on the right side what could be the problem
Category: Ford
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
replied 5 years ago.
Hello, James here. When the turn signal is on, it is run through a 'timer' to allow it to flash on and off. When one light is not working, the available voltage for both bulbs goes through the one bulb that is still functioning. With twice the power, the light will blink twice as fast. So, if your right signal is flashing quickly and the brake light is also not working, check the brake/signal bulb at the right rear lamp assy. The bulb will have 2 filaments in it. You most likely have one filament burned out. The glass of the bulb may appear tinted also. When you replace the bulb, also look at the connector that the bulb plugs into for any corrosion or damage.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
the bulbs are good i checked them already
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
i had already tried that
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
replied 5 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX you have a volt meter or a test light? if you do, i can help you diagnose this,Tim
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.

yes volt meter

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 5 years ago.
ok, at the right tail lamp , can you check for power on the lightblue/orange wire, when pressing the brake pedal?
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.

there is power there

Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
need more information
JHoop, Ford Technician
replied 5 years ago.
Happy Holidays, my name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for choosing justanswer.com. Please tell me all of the problem as my answers are based on the information you provide. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have about the same problem.

Sorry for the delay, new expert here. You have 12v to the right rear with the lights on, Correct?
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
i have a 1999 f150 when i put the right turn signal on it blinks very fast and the rear one does not light up nor does the break light on the right side. i do have both tail lights tho. the left side works the way its supposed too. i took the multi switch off i ws messing with the wires and it worked the wires that go into the male plug for the multi switch came out once before do u know which color of wire goes to which holes on the plug. im not sure if they are right now but i think they are. it started doing it about 6 weeks ago i would mess with the wires going into the plug and it started working it started doing it again this past saturday messing with the wires isnt working
JHoop, Ford Technician replied 5 years ago.
I am an automotive trained electrician and have a shop that repairs these repairs. I am going offline very soon. Grab those testing tools and get at me tomorrow. I will keep your question open. You can get back to me anytime answering any e-mail sent to you related to this question or by logging into your JA account. Thanks again, JHoop
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.

good morning i was wondering if you know hhow far from the multi switch is a plug in the wiring harness so i could unplug it and check to see if i have a broke wire

There are no sub-connectors. Do you have the tow package?
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.

do u mean for lights yes there is a plug for trailer lights i added the hitch but the plug was there already

OK. With the lights on test for 12v on each tail light. Are there 12v to each tail light?
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.

yes i have tail lights

So what are the problems you have left?
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.

i have no blinker on the rear right and no brake light on the rear right when u turn the blinker on it blinks real fast. this morning when i turned on the blinker it was blinking normal but at a steady rate got faster

Which light blinks fast? You have no blinker on the right side.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
the right one blinks fast and it doesnt light up in the back this is the problem i had all along there is no brake light on the right side either
So the right front is blinking fast?
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
yes it lights and blinks fast. this morning when i tried it it started blinking normal then gradually sped up. i dont know if the bulb was acutally lit tho.
I am having a tough time with your replies. I will get you some help. I'm going to put your question back up and see if anybody else has any info on this. Sorry I couldn't help you further. I'm sure someone will be with you shortly. Please do not reply as it will lock me to your question and no other expert can answer you. Thanks again for choosing justanswer! JHoop
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
he said he couldnt help
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
said he couldnt help
Brad, ASE Certified Technician
replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

They had a problem on some of these with the wire terminals pulling out of the connector at the turn signal switch.

Remove the steering column covers and unplug the connectors at the turn signal switch. Then make sure all of the wires are fully seated into the back of these connectors. If you find one that won't lock in place then you can replace its connector housing.

A temporary fix may be to get creative with some tape to hold the wire in place.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.

thats not it i have tried it

Brad, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 years ago.
OK let's start over here. I'd like to help you figure this out.

You have tail light, brake light, and turn signal issues. Which tail lights don't work? Which brake lights don't work? Which turn signals don't work?