Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2002 ford explorer: i have a door ajar sensor that goes on randomly

Customer Question

i have a door ajar sensor that goes on randomly and its very annoying on a 2002 ford explorer
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

In most cases the problem you are describeing is caused by a dirty and or sticking door ajar switch and its pretty common as well. In some cases you can take a can of WD-40 and try spraying a very liberal amount into each door latch where the switch mounts to the bottom of the latch. Once you have sprayed them, try opening and closing each door a few dozen times and it in some cases will free them up. If not that a scan tool that can read the dat stream will show which door switch is bad and it will need to be replaced. In most cases the suspect switch is the drivers door switch because it sees the most use.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They already tried that and it worked for awhile.then it started up again
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Then you are most likely going to have to replace one or more switches, in most cases its the drivers door but to know for sure a scan tool will show which door is sticking.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well it looks like I'm getting the same answers and they replaced the switch already too
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
There is one in each door and when the light is on, the scan tool will show which switch is bad when the doors are closed. Unfortunately this is the answer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well just have to put up with it I guess
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Just for the heck of it, why dont you try spraying them all again. It usaully works.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok will try that
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
You have nothing to loose and it usually will work. Dont be afraid to soak it real well.